Register

Best, Cleanest, Fastest Dispatch?

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
BunnyBucks: 20.00

Re: Best, Cleanest, Fastest Dispatch?

Post Number:#76  Unread postby Thorn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:14 pm

This is good information on this topic. Ive always used a 22. rifle to the brain, but its loud and stresses the other rabbits, so I've been looking for other options. I tried out the broomstick method on a chicken successfully, still not certain I have the physical strength to do this with a rabbit, but I'm going to try on the next bunch.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,080.00

Post Number:#77  Unread postby a7736100 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:59 pm

Does anyone slit their throats with a sharp knife as they do with larger animals?

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 467.00

Post Number:#78  Unread postby Ghost » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Thorn wrote:This is good information on this topic. Ive always used a 22. rifle to the brain, but its loud and stresses the other rabbits, so I've been looking for other options. I tried out the broomstick method on a chicken successfully, still not certain I have the physical strength to do this with a rabbit, but I'm going to try on the next bunch.

I'm not sure how much upper body strength you have, but it should not require too much. Perform a cervical dislocation with the broom stick is much easier than preforming a bare hand cervical dislocation on a rabbit.

The genius behind the broom stick method is, broom sticking a rabbit actually uses the creatures body as a lever that makes killing it easier. I have dispatched five rabbits using this method. I was amazed at how well the procedure worked, even the first time I did. This was without watching it in person, I only read about it and looked at pictures.

When the rabbit is placed on the ground, the creature's chin is locked in place. The first part of the procedure is to lift-up the legs. When the creature is peacefully lying down the neck is extended close to the limit of nature movement. So is soon as you lift up the legs, you are bending the neck too far in the wrong direction. This takes the most force because lifting the legs will fracture the vertebra and break the tendons that hold the vertebra in place. This is the point where the legs and whole body act as a long lever concentrating your force into the small area at the top of the unfortunate creature's neck. So once the legs are all the way up, you have done the damage against the hardest parts of the rabbit's body. The spinal column itself (the nerve bundle inside the spine) is very fragile, it is a gelatinous mass. In the final part of a broomstick dispatch, you will give a final tug that severs the spinal column, resulting in death. The weakness if the spinal column itself will require only a small force. You may have to fight against a few springy tendons that were not broken, but still not a great force. Just stretch the tendons the spinal column is not stretchy it will break, and the tendons will relax.

Sorry if the description was a bit graphic, but I feel is describes why I fee that broomstick is one of the best humane ways to dispatch a rabbit.
You have to do the most good for the most. You most remember that a few will won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,799.00

Post Number:#79  Unread postby Preitler » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:56 pm

a7736100 wrote:Does anyone slit their throats with a sharp knife as they do with larger animals?

Hm, here it's unlawful to do so without properly stunning the animal, quite a procedure to do it legal when people insist on halal or kosher meat, I think a vet has to observe every such killing.
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness, then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious commodity is so much misery"

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,665.00

Post Number:#80  Unread postby shazza » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:17 pm

i would not consider throat cut to be a humane or quick death. when slaughtering large animals i want to say they are required to stun the animal first with a captive bolt or electrocution.
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,957.00

Post Number:#81  Unread postby alforddm » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:58 pm

I've seen pictures of the Maasai in Africa when they collect blood from cows for drinking. The cows are barely restrained. I have no doubt that such blood letting could be done to death without causing undue stress to the animal. The trick would be a very very sharp knife or an arrow (as the Maasai use). I think very few people now days are capable of sharpening a knife to the required sharpness and you would have to be very accurate. I think a large animal would be much easier than a small one in most cases.

I have never tried this, so just my thoughts on the matter.

The following user would like to thank alforddm for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,820.00

Post Number:#82  Unread postby Zass » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:33 pm

alforddm wrote:I've seen pictures of the Maasai in Africa when they collect blood from cows for drinking. The cows are barely restrained. I have no doubt that such blood letting could be done to death without causing undue stress to the animal. The trick would be a very very sharp knife or an arrow (as the Maasai use). I think very few people now days are capable of sharpening a knife to the required sharpness and you would have to be very accurate. I think a large animal would be much easier than a small one in most cases.

My husband can sharpen knives past what we think of as a razor's edge. He's had to take his sharpening kit to work to tend his co-worker's pocketknives more than once now. :lol:

I've seen a farmer kill a lamb and then a sheep with a throat cut. He did it very quickly and then held the animals while they bled out, and through the throes. The heart pumps the blood out very very quickly. I think, the animals became light headed and disoriented from blood loss within a few heartbeats, and lost consciousness before they actually died.

It wasn't the worst method of death (better than a poorly placed hunter's bullet, and worlds better than a rabbit would experience dying from gi stasis,) but also not the best.

Despite being comfortable with a variety of dispatch methods, when our own pets had to be put down, it was a well placed and appropriately side bullet to the brain that we chose. (pellet, 22 cal, or heavy shot, depending on the size of the animal.)

Grandma actually had to turn back to this, as she had a hard time with recent veterinary euthanasia. I'm not sure of the specifics, but she describes two injections being given to her old cat, and him reacting extremely poorly to the first one. She said she just didn't have the heart to put her second elderly cat through the same procedure. (They were litter mates, and reached that phase within a few years of each other. )
She tells me that after describing it, she's heard similar stores from people she knows.

Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,280.00

Post Number:#83  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:31 pm

alforddm wrote:I've seen pictures of the Maasai in Africa when they collect blood from cows for drinking. The cows are barely restrained. I have no doubt that such blood letting could be done to death without causing undue stress to the animal. The trick would be a very very sharp knife or an arrow (as the Maasai use). I think very few people now days are capable of sharpening a knife to the required sharpness and you would have to be very accurate. I think a large animal would be much easier than a small one in most cases.

I have done this and you are right

__________ Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:31 pm __________

Zass wrote:My husband can sharpen knives past what we think of as a razor's edge. He's had to take his sharpening kit to work to tend his co-worker's pocketknives more than once now. :lol:

I've seen a farmer kill a lamb and then a sheep with a throat cut. He did it very quickly and then held the animals while they bled out, and through the throes. The heart pumps the blood out very very quickly. I think, the animals became light headed and disoriented from blood loss within a few heartbeats, and lost consciousness before they actually died.

I have killed with a knife a lot, if properly done it is "almost" painless. - just stupor, then unconsciousness ,it happens almost immediately- but- a "sharp knife" is all important.- The animal will feel a sting- then confusion, then oblivion-- you can see it in their eyes-- they just fall asleep. ... after a few seconds, they will convulse a little and then lie still.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Zass

Previous