Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease on Vancouver Island, thoughts?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zass

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/hund ... -1.3826986

Quotes from the article.

Overall, more than 30 feral rabbits have been found dead at VIU, a dozen at Rotary Bowl and roughly 200 at a nearby rescue.

While it has been used for population control in other countires, how the deadly virus arrived on Vancouver Island remains a mystery.

This is exactly why I caution people against letting their bunnies free range.

Our wild cottontails cannot carry or spread the disease, but the species we keep as pets can, and diseases find a way of getting around. I can only imagine the nightmare at the shelter with 200 VHD rabbits. :cry:

Being me--
I can't help but wonder--- if this disease was "introduced" by "animal control" agencies, or a agency like our CDC, to head off a population explosion by feral domestic rabbits .

I copied this from an internet source I don't remember--

What Is VHD?

Rabbit Viral Hemorrhagic Disease (VHD) is a highly contagious disease caused by a calicivirus that affects only rabbits of the Oryctolagus cuniculus species. This includes wild and domesticated European rabbits, from which our own domesticated rabbits are descended. It has not been known to affect any North American native rabbits or hares, such as cottontails, snowshoe hares and jackrabbits. VHD is also known by several other acronyms: RHD (Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease), RCV (Rabbit Calicivirus), and RCD (Rabbit Calicivirus Disease). VHD was first seen in China in 1984, and has since spread to Mexico, Continental Europe, Israel, the UK, Australia and New Zealand.

Symptoms may include:

Loss of appetite
Lethargy
High Fever
Spasms
Sudden death
VHD, however, is often a very swift and sudden killer, giving little warning. Rabbits may die without showing any symptoms at all. Some bleeding from the nose, mouth and rectum is sometimes seen. Any sudden rabbit death is suspicious and should be reported to your veterinarian or the State Veterinarian as a possible case of VHD

The incubation period of this disease is very short, and rabbits may die within 48 hours of exposure to the virus that causes VHD.
The death rate of rabbits exposed to this virus is very high, between 50 and 100%, with the latter number probably being closer to actual mortality rates. Rabbits who survive this disease are carriers and shed the virus for at least 42 days, perhaps longer.
Rabbit calicivirus is a very hardy virus, remaining viable in the environment for 105 days at 68F (i.e. remains stable for 105 days at room temperature) and for 225 days at 39F. It resists freezing.
There is no known cure for VHD. Vaccinations are available in countries where the disease in endemic, but there is no vaccine currently available in the US.
How VHD is spread

As was mentioned, VHD is highly contagious. It can be spread by:

Contact of a rabbit with inanimate objects contaminated by the virus (i.e. via fomites). Such object would include clothing, shoes, and car and truck tires.
Direct contact of a rabbit with an infected rabbit or the feces of an infected rabbit.
Contact with rabbit products such as fur, meat or wool from infected rabbits.
Insects, birds, and animals such as rodents are known to spread the virus by acting as indirect hosts. They can transport the disease, for example, from an infected rabbit to an unaffected rabbit.
Humans can spread the virus to their rabbits if they have been in contact with infected rabbits or in contact with objects contaminated by the virus, including feces from an infected rabbit.

How to Protect Your Rabbits

House your rabbits indoors. We strongly suggest that they be kept indoors, or in enclosed environments. Rabbits who live or exercise outdoors are more at risk for contracting this disease.
Wash your hands thoroughly before handling your rabbits, particularly when you come home from places where other rabbits may have been, or where people who have been in contact with rabbits may have been. This would include places such as feed stores, pet stores, fair grounds, humane societies, etc.
Change your clothes and wash your hands after handling or coming in contact with rabbits. Wash these clothes twice in hot water before you wear them around your rabbit.

I am a little bit unnerved by this - because 80% of my family moved to Vancouver island. I could have human vectors in the future. Thankfully, I have a less involved family than some and we don't go visiting all that often (video chat is easier and cheaper than air travel after all) I'll have to keep my eyes peeled so I can decide if I have to demand biohazard protocols when my family comes to visit or not.

Also, if it spreads widely, maybe going to my first show in July might be a bad idea.

Ferra":24wtuaji said:
I am a little bit unnerved by this - because 80% of my family moved to Vancouver island. I could have human vectors in the future. Thankfully, I have a less involved family than some and we don't go visiting all that often (video chat is easier and cheaper than air travel after all) I'll have to keep my eyes peeled so I can decide if I have to demand biohazard protocols when my family comes to visit or not.

Also, if it spreads widely, maybe going to my first show in July might be a bad idea.

we will all have to watch for this- like any virus, or communicable disease, - if it can spread enough to infect a geographic area - then it will globe hop - and more especially move across the continent. .. it saddens me to see "governments" spreading disease as a means of "predation control" they have a very poor track record..

__________ Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 am __________

In Australia they have several strains

They have a vaccine for RVHD1 (V1).
No vaccine for RVHD2 (V2).
No vaccine for RVHD1a (K5)
and--
[According to a person from Australia], -
V2 has a kill rate of 90% it is not species specific (lagomorph virus - includes brown hares)

__________ Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:52 pm __________

more info- -- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486751604975052/about/

You need to hope this is the European form of the virus as there is a vaccine available and not form that was “accidentally” released to Australia where there is not vaccine.

Catherine99":2pm2dgf1 said:
You need to hope this is the European form of the virus as there is a vaccine available and not form that was “accidentally” released to Australia where there is not vaccine.

I believe, the preferred method of dealing with this here in the US would be quarantine and euthanasia of affected stock, paired with removal of feral populations that serve as vectors.

The real question for me is, "Can vaccinated rabbits shed the virus? "

Catherine99":276pgr1g said:
and ... we need to hope it does not get off the island and start across the mainland --- it is of particular interest to me that the area it is infecting has a big "nuisance" population of feral domestic rabbits... this tends to make me think it was purposely introduced....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3020504

The Vancouver Island city is struggling with the growing population of feral rabbits that are taking over university campuses and even the local airport. Rabbits are not native to the island and the ones found outside are all abandoned.

This reply received comment made in the Australia group about American being virus free and having no vaccine. Because said I was in American group rabbit report eg Rabbittalk.

"um its over your way and last year I read on American groups reports of multiple unexplained deaths and some sounded so like virus but no one suspects or tests and just says ..just what you said .. not in states..etc.. It was in Ontario in Canada last year on three properties and they were quaratined. It would not be great stretch to guess its also in states... now in Vancouver this year.. sadly just a matter of time as virus creeps across Europe and your country ..especially as its now widespread in Europe and rabbits still imported in to America from Europe as far as I know.."

Catherine99":4kzz31hs said:
This reply received comment make in the Australia group about American being virus free and having no vaccine.

"um its over your way and last year I read on American groups reports of multiple unexplained deaths and some sounded so like virus but no one suspects or tests and just says ..just what you said .. not in states..etc.. It was in Ontario in Canada last year on three properties and they were quaratined. It would not be great stretch to guess its also in states... now in Vancouver this year.. sadly just a matter of time as virus creeps across Europe and your country ..especially as its now widespread in Europe and rabbits still imported in to America from Europe as far as I know.."

I never said it wasn't in the states, actually, I'm fully aware that is shows up here from time to time. I only stated that our native wild rabbits are not vectors, which is why it isn't nearly as widespread of a problem here in the states.
It can only travel through domestic or feral populations, and our feral populations tend to be limited to certain city parks and universities, as predators effectively manage them elsewhere.

Sorry Zass, miss understood your comment.

v2 is worry as has found in Hares and our government is noting testing for it other animals.

I noticed there hasn't been an update on this in a while. I've heard that there is a rescue that has taken on rabbits from a rescue in Delta and brought them into Washington, into Port Angeles. I also heard that animal control has taken some rabbits found dead next to a high way Northern Washington. They were found yesterday and are still waiting test results. Has anyone else heard anything?

guardianoasis":22rhkluf said:
I noticed there hasn't been an update on this in a while. I've heard that there is a rescue that has taken on rabbits from a rescue in Delta and brought them into Washington, into Port Angeles. I also heard that animal control has taken some rabbits found dead next to a high way Northern Washington. They were found yesterday and are still waiting test results. Has anyone else heard anything?
most of that info will be filtered before it is released- so its accuracy will be questionable -we will have to hear real news from rabbit people - and spread that..

Back