Register

Guinea pigs: working herds

Dogs and Cats, Other Pets, Poultry and Livestock. If it's yours and it runs, flies, swims or crawls, post about it here.
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 35.00

Re: Guinea pigs: working herds

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Greencaller » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:39 am

Thank you, Ghost, I'm glad I signed up, I really like this community. :D

Taking a life shouldn't be easy, but I'm familiar with that necessary emotional detachment. You need it or it won't be a swift clean kill, and there's nothing more disturbing than when you miss.

When I processed my rabbits, I did my best to do it in private, and get the animal as relaxed as possible, out of respect for its personality and the work it did to feed my family. But I'm familiar with that predatory feeling because there's nothing that seems to excite that more than chickens ( maybe because they look super tasty?), lol. And its a drain. The end of processing day might not physically wear me out but, man, am I beat.

It does seem less taxing on the herd/flock, especially if they get treats in the end. Maybe a pint of ice cream and some time with the herd afterwards would be good for the humans, too.

I'm currently working on gathering supplies to put a couple runs together. I'd really like to acquire my first stock soon. :P

The following user would like to thank Greencaller for this post
Ghost

Previous