Pregnant or not?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeroBlanco

Reaction score
Hi all, let's explain the situation: one of my does (that already had a litter in the past) mated with a buck that has never been a father yet. The buck had a single fall-off. The doe refused to breed all the times after that: after a few hours, the day after, a week later and even two weeks later, crying and running away from the buck. I tried all these times because the two rabbits mated about two months ago, but, again after a single fall-off, the doe was not pregnant. I think that, probably, the buck was too young to be fertile (he was about 5 months old on their first try of mating).
On the 17th day from this second mating, I found some fur in the cage and the doe was carrying hay in her mouth. Having read various articles about it, I thought about a hysterical pregnancy. In the following days, she lost every nesting instinct.
However, today, 21 days after mating, I took the doe to the buck thinking that the fake pregnancy had ceased, but she again rejected him.
Could she be pregnant for real, although she has taken off her fur and has had a nesting attitude so early? I am very bad in palpating, I tried but I didn't feel nothing. I know I will know the truth in about 10 days, but I'd like to hear your opinion and experiences. :) (and sorry for my English :lol: )

It could go either way. I think you'll just have to wait and see. Lots of does get pregnant with just one fall-off.

As far as my experiences, I just let them do their thing, one fall-off or several, and waited out the time. I was rarely disappointed and with rabbit gestation being so short, it wasn't that big a deal in any case.

Thank you, I hope so much that she is pregnant, I really want a litter from them since they are beautiful and the first time they have been tricking me with only one fall-off :evil: fingers crossed for some good news!

Yeah I've had does get pregnant with only one fall off many times, as well as nest early, give up, and still kindle when the time is right. It's a waiting game. You can start watching for kits kicking at around 3 and a half weeks in though.

MaggieJ":1e4a9nb2 said:
It could go either way. I think you'll just have to wait and see. Lots of does get pregnant with just one fall-off.
:yeahthat:

One of my does just had a litter of 7 last month, after only one fall-off.

Another one of my does had several fall-offs, stayed with the buck for a 2-week romp in the barn, and still hasn't had kits (but keeps making and remaking her nest).

:popcorn:

Uuuuh you are giving me hope! :clap: My doe has A LOT of fur, so it will be impossible to see any movements in the belly, but she is very kind and will let me to touch her, hoping to feel some little kick! The due date is March 6, let's play the waiting game...

I always like to see 2 or 3 fall off's but have had several litters with just one. I think some times the does just aren't in the mood to be chased around a cage for a hour :lol: Plus I'm sure wild rabbit's just go there own way after breeding or at least the doe the buck goes looking for her sister :lol: Also if I see 1 good fall off I just assume she took I don't like handling my does to much it just causes stress for them. I figure like Maggie says 31 days or so goes by pretty fast. My rabbit's have had all winter off so i hope my buck is well rested because he is getting 4 does this weekend! Good luck CeroBlanco

I would just wait it out but sometimes I am on a timeline. I do not do it very often but you can put the doe back in with the buck. If she is not pregnant she will let him breed. If she is pregnant she will want nothing to do with him.

Thank you all for your replies. The due date should be tomorrow but, unfortunately, the doe is not pregnant. No signs of nesting, no movements in the belly, no changing in her behaviour. I learnt that this doe, after a single breeding, does not want to have any other mating until almost the end of the month, no matter if she took or not, I don't know the reason. I rebreeded her today with the same buck, another one single fall off. This is their third try. If even this time she does not get pregnant, I will try another male to see who is the problem between them.

Thats probably just when her days of readiness are. They don't have heat cycles, but very few of mine are actually ready to be bred at any time. I check their vents and light pink=not ready, bright red=prime readiness, deep purple=ending the readiness cycle. I do have some that for whatever reason they don't want to breed and haven't taken. Just a couple actually, and those guys are culls. But for the most part, once I check them an they are ready it all goes really well:)

I think I will check my doe too! I really like her and her "husband", it was difficult to find them, I would be very disappointed if I had to discard these rabbits from my little rabbitry. :( <br /><br /> -- Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:33 pm -- <br /><br /> Well, I'm here to update. I mated the doe on March 5 with the same buck. Today is exactly the 17th day from the mating and, guess what? She is pulling her fur, again! :wall: I'm almost sure it will be another fake pregnancy, exactly as the previous month. However, I also mated the buck with a second doe on March 7, I'm waiting to see who I have to sell between the buck and the doe. :cry: But I can't understand how it's possible that a doe with past litters can not get pregnant, if the problem is her...

CeroBlanco":29eug7ar said:
But I can't understand how it's possible that a doe with past litters can not get pregnant, if the problem is her...
One suggestion that I've seen offered before in a situation similar to this is that the doe gained weight (and more importantly, added internal fat) which hindered further pregnancies. Rabbits can gain a bunch of fat internally (right around the uterine horns, from what I understand), without ever "looking" overweight. If she hasn't had a litter in a while, maybe this is why?

It could be. She eats a lot, even if it does not look fat. Moreover, she is very willing for a mating, I see it when she tries to mount the poor buck that is also smaller than her :lol: Thanks for the advice, I will try to put her on a diet!

Latest posts

Back