Fostering kits out to other does....opinions?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberRae

Reaction score
This time around breeding i have decided to have my does on the same breeding schedule for various of reasons. Today I had 4 does kid. Two of the does had 2 kits each one doe had 7 kits and one doe had 9 kits. Would you take a couple kits from the larger litters and put them with the smaller litters? Both does with the larger litters are proven moms of raising large litters. Also all my does are very easy going about taking kits thay are not theirs. My thoughts are it would be easier on the moms with large litters and the litters of two would be left as a singleton if they had a sibling die. How would you guys do it in your herd?

depends entirely on the doe and the time of year. If I had a singleton with does that were well proven to raise big litters I'd take good pics of the singleton/or find ways to mark it and pop it in with a large litter. This allows me to breed back momma. With two kits in the smaller litters it's not a huge difference to add two to a litter as to add one...but if your large litter does are slightly out of condition I'd foster same size kits out to the smaller litters.

in your case.. I'd pop those small litters in with the big and rebreed those two does to kindle together in four weeks. Increases your output (if you need it) and will give you bigger litters next time.

Currently in my herd I have a small doe raising six kits. Two are hers, four are another litter... belonged to a doe who lost her mind. Winter time kits...less than three don't survive without babysitting. So it was an easy call to say you kidlets move here.. mindless doe you disappear.

If your does can handle raising ten kits each, Ladysown's solution would maximize the number of kits you can raise.

If you are doubtful, you could rebreed one doe and foster her two plus one or two from the largest litter onto the other.

The only problem I see with this second scenario is that breeding just the one doe immediately may mean that there are no opportunities for fostering when she kindles. But perhaps you have other does to breed as well?

Thanks for your sugesstions. I never thought about being abke to re breed the does faster. I like that idea and I am going to give it a try.

Latest posts

Back