Register

raising rabbits the old way --

Advice on purchasing or constructing cages and hutches for your rabbitry.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,320.00

Re: raising rabbits the old way --

Post Number:#31  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Rainey wrote:[quote=

We don't grow grain or live in an area that does, but we have a sawmill. Our rabbits are in wire cages but we put a thin layer of sawdust in the pans that go under them. It soaks up the urine and makes the pans easier to empty and clean. The trays are emptied into the compost bins or directly onto beds during the growing season. We use shavings from planer and jointer mixed with peat moss as bedding in our worm box for indoor composting. Also use shavings on the floor of the winter chicken coop and sawdust for bedding in the goat shed. If we kept rabbits on solid floor with bedding, I'd think the shavings might be ok but probably sawdust could be too dusty and cause respiratory problems. It's interesting how we each have different givens to work with and how that shapes our ways of raising our animals.

At one time I had access to wood chips from tree trimmers, they worked well and the rabbits ate a lot of those when I used it as bedding [especially the bark] - but, I was a little paranoid about them eating something toxic that might mixed in the truck load.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 35,965.00

Re: raising rabbits the old way --

Post Number:#32  Unread postby akane » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:56 pm

The deep litter stayed dryer on top than when I was scraping down to the mats and trying to keep a thin layer of clean pine pellets on it. I just put 2 whole bales of hay and a whole bale of straw per 12x12' area in there with a fresh layer of pine pellets every spring and fall. The problem was when it came time to clean the stuff out because I had a foot or 2 of dirt to fresh sawdust/hay/straw mulch over top of my packed aglime floors that I just couldn't shovel myself. The chickens actually didn't produce half as much waste over a year of deep litter method so despite having a 170sq ft wood oat bin as the coop it only took a handful of wheelbarrow loads to pile it out back and even after 3 years of doing that the linseed oiled hardwood floors underneath were still just as good of condition and dry as when I put "new" (I found the huge container of the stuff in another of the old outbuildings) oil layer on them.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Previous