Register

Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,168.00

Re: Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Post Number:#1141  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Nice to see you back, WVForestGirl. :) And an intro was definitely a good idea, since we have so very many new members who won't know you.

Great looking rabbits. Your buck is definitely a handsome fellow. :)

Your junior doe does look like she might have buns in her oven. Hope she does well for you.

BunnyBucks: 20.00

Post Number:#1142  Unread postby ZealieGirl » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:35 am

Hello All,

I'm the newly minted ZealieGirl and I am hailing you all from eastern NC. I had rabbits years ago and loved them but we moved a few times and finally ended back up in a place that I can have rabbits again. So I am now the proud owner of a NZ trio. Cora a REW doe (red underneath), Quigley a broken red doe, and Oak a broken red buck.

I let them settle in for a week and then let Mr. Oak get down to business so in 30 days now I should have popples (please please please), so excited.

I'm so looking forward to "meeting" you all and learning a ton from ya'll and this site.

Zealie

:pancake:

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#1143  Unread postby Marinea » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:00 am

Welcome to RT!

I would love to see some pics of your buns as a fellow NZ person.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

BunnyBucks: 20.00

Post Number:#1144  Unread postby ZealieGirl » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:23 pm

I'll see what I can do about posting pics, I just have them on my phone so I'm not sure about how to load them. Probably have to enlist the help of DH. But Cora is lovely REW, Quigs is almost a charlie with a streak of spots down her back and sides. Oak is a blanketed broken, with a nice rich depth to his red (in my opinion).

__________Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:23 pm ___________

This is Oak, my snuggle master.

The following user would like to thank ZealieGirl for this post
Marinea

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 852.00

Post Number:#1145  Unread postby Winterwolf » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 pm

:hi:
Welcome to RabbitTalk, ZealieGirl!
Oak looks like a gorgeous bunny. So huggable :) Wishing you luck with your upcoming popples. Make sure to share pics of the little fluffballs!
Misty Creek Rabbitry
Mini Lops and French Angoras
Northeast Kansas, USA
http://mistycreekrabbitry.weebly.com
https://www.facebook.com/MistyCreekRabbitry/

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 75.00

Post Number:#1146  Unread postby FuzzMom » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:17 am

Hi.. I'm new here. I have one English Angora girl. CottonBall is a little over a year old, all white with red eyes. I want to learn as much as I can about her. I can't connect with her, even though she's absolutely adorable. so, I'd like to know about bonding, feeding, grooming, and how to keep her from destroying my house when she's out for a run. Sorry for so many questions. I live in Ny state. I also have 2 cats, a 14 year old black and white boy and a 4 year old maine coon girl. And they all get along. Glad to find a bunny forum and nice to meet everyone. Also, I am visually impaired, so I apologize for any typos in advance. Thank you.

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,168.00

Post Number:#1147  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:28 am

Glad to have you with us, FuzzMom. :welcome:

It's not unusual to find rabbits harder to understand than cats or dogs. Being prey animals in nature, they often avoid drawing attention to themselves, and since they don't vocalize much, there are fewer signals to read.

A lot of RabbitTalk members have benefited from a website that teaches how to understand bunny body language. You may find it amusing, and helpful in your efforts to bond with CottonBall.
:clover:

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,740.00

Post Number:#1148  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:55 am

FuzzMom wrote:Hi.. I'm new here. I have one English Angora girl.

Have you tried plucking her fur when she's due for wool harvest? My english angora hates gettingg sheered but if I pluck! she becomes like a ragdoll. She's so limp she looks dead at first XD

PS. Please forgive the bad filming attempt, there's a reason the video is unlisted XD

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 35.00

Post Number:#1149  Unread postby Greencaller » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Hello, everyone! Another newbie here to join the herd! I became fascinated with rabbits with my first mini-rex I adopted to keep me company when I had my first tiny apartment many many years ago. What's huge personality in such a tiny package! Sadly, his curiosity got the better of him. He nibbled on a latex glove that I had accidentally brought home from work and it killed him almost before I could figure out what happened, poor baby.

Since then I adopted several rabbits, and raised a couple for the table (tasty, but slightly less flavorful than game rabbit).

I haven't owned rabbits for some time, but now that my husband and I own a small parcel of land we are considering raising a handful of rabbits for livestock. So I'm starting from scratch in my research to decide what breeds I want to raise and the best set-up to suit my needs, the needs of the rabbits and the specifics of the property. (Goats, cuy cavies, Guinea hens and chickens will also live here.)

I'm also an experienced rat mom if anyone needs help with ratties. :)

Fuzzy luvs to all! Greencaller. :pancake:

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,215.00

Post Number:#1150  Unread postby Nymphadora » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:25 pm

Welcome to RT, Greencaller!
:welcome:
:welcomewagon:

We're happy to have you with us, and I think you'll find a number of members who have experience with some of the livestock you mentioned (to say nothing of the bunnies we're all pretty much obsessed with)! :P :lol:

It's a good idea to add your location to your profile (doesn't have to be super specific), so we can give you more locally adapted advice, as well! My climate is very different from MaggieJ's, for example, so my bunnies have to deal with different stressors than her herd would have to. Hopefully we can help answer any questions you have (or find an answer together)! :)

The following user would like to thank Nymphadora for this post
Greencaller

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,305.00

Post Number:#1151  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:06 pm

welcome Greencaller... I am sure you can find info here...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 140.00

Post Number:#1152  Unread postby Dani4Hedgies » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:18 am

Hello my name is Dani and I had a mini rex years and years ago named Checkers. He was a sweet little bunny and a joy to have. Fast forward to about a month ago when my partner Heather told me that her hubby wants to get into rabbits for meat and to show for their girls. And she and I want to get into Angora for wool and show (we own three business together ("Wildflower Farms" for chickens, ducks, turkeys and eggs as well as meat of any of the mentioned, "2 Chicks and a Hen" (an all in one care business for people wanting chickens in the city) and "Spoil Me" where we make all natural body products for those who have allergies (as example I am diabetic so have to avoid a lot of the fun looking and smelling body stuff cause it contains sugar) and actually we are getting 5 acres from her to create our own homestead in Turney Mo. Soo last Wednesday Heather and I stopped by a local Ma and Pa shop and found "Allie Bun Bun" a beautiful and sweet Tori Angora about 6 months (she is the one I'm holding in my avatar). Now we are looking for a White Angora Buck and some Pure line Angora Does to breed as I discovered on another board that she needs to just be a pet and not bred. .

(admin HELP please I can't get any of my pictures to load)
Last edited by Dani4Hedgies on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,305.00

Post Number:#1153  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 am

welcome Dani...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Dani4Hedgies

Female
BunnyBucks: 130.00

Post Number:#1154  Unread postby RebelScumHan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:20 am

Hi, everyone <3

I am a 26-year-old anarchist mother of two raising a budding rabbit farm in southern Arizona with her anarchist mother. We've only been doing this since around August of 2017- not very long! But, we are having pretty good luck and make a pretty good team. We sort of have our own goals while working together on the same property. She focuses on excellent meat mutts and raising astrex plush lops. I'm focusing on quality rexes, velveteen lops, meat mutts, and hopefully English lops in the future.

This whole thing started thanks to the most amazing rabbit on Earth, Greenbean. He was a teeny tiny baby my mom bought on a whim for $10 at a flea market. He turned out to be a curly plush lop with the most playful, loving personality. Being no stranger to raising babies of all kinds, we got him a female in a rescue situation. After seven months of nothing, we had litter after litter after litter. "No wonder people raise rabbits for meat," my mom thought. After lots of research, we decided raising our own meat source would be an ethical solution to purchasing meat from factory farms. In addition, my mom wanted to recreate more babies like Greenbean... and here we are <3 I was gifted a gorgeous and angelic velveteen lop, so of course, I fell in love with the breed. I also chose to focus on rexes for the meat, personalities, and pelts. I sew in my free time and want to work with the furs. We are going through "growing pains" as we upgrade our cages equipment, and stock constantly, but it's all so worth it.

I also have two kids, 4 and 5, one with apraxia of speech, that love to work with the rabbits every day. They are homeschooled and get so much out of this journey. It makes my heart happy <3 I never thought I would be doing this, but I don't regret it.

Shown here is Greenbean <3

BunnyBucks: 1,290.00

Post Number:#1155  Unread postby ozemba » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:40 am

:) Welcome to Rabbittalk! I personally have the much more space accommodating Holland Lops. I wish velveteen lops were smaller. Maybe a future project, eh?

PreviousNext