Help with cat color?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zass

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I took in a nice neutered male cat to get him healed up, because he was being mauled by 3-5 unneutered toms, and there was just no way to get him inside or separated from the other cats where he was. :evil:
Long story short, we had to drive over an hour to pick up a cat we didn't want. :lol:

I adore cats, but we already have two.

He's a lovely color, great personality, and he is neutered, so rehoming after he's healed up should be pretty easy. Please don't judge, his fur is pretty messy, I had to shave some to keep the wounds clean, and it's getting a bit nappy from ointment, but I'm sure he'll be gorgeous in a couple weeks.

So umm, my understanding of cat colors is pretty limited.
He's some sort of dark blueish and beige mackerel tabby color. Definitely not black. Almost looks ticked, but isn't. Anyone know what to call this guy? <br /><br /> __________ Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 pm __________ <br /><br /> .

Attachments

• DSC00327.jpg
    DSC00327.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,348
  • DSC00357.jpg
    DSC00357.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 1,348
  • DSC00350.jpg
    DSC00350.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 1,348
  • DSC00349.jpg
    DSC00349.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 1,348
  • DSC00361.jpg
    DSC00361.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,347
I don't know what exactly to call his colour, but isn't he a handsome fellow! Good thing you don't live near here, or I'd be tempted. And then my Jenny would never forgive me.

He appears to have a lovely personality, judging from his expressions and body language in the pictures. I'm sure you'll be able to find him a good home.

He is a gorgeous fellow. He is just a really dark Brown tabby cat. Looks like his stripes have a bit of marble to them, a swirl in the stripe.

Sagebrush":2qwfx6em said:
He is a gorgeous fellow. He is just a really dark Brown tabby cat. Looks like his stripes have a bit of marble to them, a swirl in the stripe.

I was pretty sure brown tabbies had black stripes though? This guy is definitely dark blue and not black. The pics are a bit deceptive, I think. I still do not have a decent camera :| Perhaps dilute brown tabby, if that is a thing in cats? None of the blue tabby pics look quite right, because they all seem to be much cleaner blues, without the cream.

If it helps, I have both blue and black for comparison. If only I could figure out how to line all the cats up for a pic. :lol:

Attachments

• Ceylon and keiko.jpg
    Ceylon and keiko.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 1,335
  • Peeka2.jpg
    Peeka2.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 1,331
  • Peeka.jpg
    Peeka.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 1,331
  • DSC00348.jpg
    DSC00348.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 1,331
His base color is a blue tabby, which makes all your black through brown shades with obvious to barely visible stripes. What makes them more a shade of grey or blue to brown tinted, darker versus lighter, and partial or complete stripes ranges from a variety of known genes to practically infinite modifiers so if it's any type of black base with any level of standard direction stripes you generally just call it a blue tabby. It's more when the pattern is weird instead of usual plain, same direction stripes that you have something other than a minor variation on an orange or blue tabby.

Back