Why does one of my mini rex always give me peanuts?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberRae

Reaction score
I don't know much about peanuts except breeding 2 minis can cause them. I have two mini rex does I breed to the same mino rex buck. One of my does always has 1 or two peanuts while the other one I can't ever remember having one. Is someone able to explain to me why this happens.

Peanuts are caused by having two copies of the dwarf gene. So, both the sire and the dam must be dwarfs in order to get peanuts. So, your buck is a dwarf and also the doe who produces the peanuts but your other doe isn't, unless you've just been really really fortunate with her.

That’s correct. Some mini dwarfs, and really any mini breeds do not carry the dwarf gene, and are not true dwarfs.

In my experience most mini rex don't carry a dwarf gene for peanuts and even breeding what appear to be true dwarf Netherland Dwarf rabbits may never to rarely result in peanuts instead of the odds a simple recessive should but it really depends on the line. It may be more common to prioritize that small size in your area and people have been crossing the dwarf genes into other small breeds to attain small size quicker or make it more guaranteed. Around here there are a lot of cheap mini rex with good type but the entire line ends up 1/2-1lb over the maximum senior weight so they are mostly useless as show stock. Actually make great meat rabbits if you don't want large roasters though.

Latest posts

Back