What is this? *Graphic picture*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
Well one of my grow outs I got from the buyout died this morning. Being raised the way I was I got what I knew I could use off him, and I wanted answers as to why he died so I opened him up. The only thing I found out of the ordinary was the white on his liver. I know there is an illness that causes white spots on the liver, but I don't remember what illness it is. Can someone please tell me what it is, and what my best coarse of action would be to help his mother and siblings? Of the rabbits already processed he is the only one to have this so far, and I'd like to keep his mama in my meat herd if possible. All the rabbits from the buyout are still in quarantine, and if I can avoid having to cull everyone I would like to, but culling is not out of the question if it will be best in the end. I also apologize for the picture. It's a bit hard to see the white on the liver for how the picture is angled. The white spots are just under the ribcage, and the light is bad from an incoming storm so it all looks pretty red

Attachments

• IMG_20180212_114638.jpg
    IMG_20180212_114638.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 848
I can't really see the spots on the liver, but typically these are caused by coccidiosis. It is treatable and -- although you wouldn't want to eat the liver or other organs -- the muscle meat, properly cooked, is edible.

Coccidiosis typically shows up in rabbits kept in less than clean surroundings. It is usually young rabbits that succumb to it; older rabbits may have it but show no outward symptoms.

Sorry I can't remember the medication used for this, but it is information that should be in other threads about coccidiosis or by searching on the Internet. There should be no need for wide-spread culling, but you may need to treat the rest of the rabbits you purchased. Good thing they are still in quarantine, eh?

I circled the white spots I could see in the picture. There weren't a lot of spots, but that was the only odd thing I found. When I was looking through this part of the forum trying to find a picture I could compare it to, I found a thing on using green onions to help treat/prevent cocci as well as something about plantains being helpful for it

Attachments

• IMG_20180212_132145.jpg
    IMG_20180212_132145.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 838
I can see the spots better now that you have circled them. It looks like coccidiosis to me, but it doesn't look serious enough to have resulted in the rabbit's death.

Onion tops, chives and the plantains all help prevent this kind of thing, but I don't know how effective they are once the rabbit is infected. Michaels4gardens is very knowledgeable about this. I'd consider sending him a PM and ask him if he'd mind taking a look at this thread.

Latest posts

Back