Buck made doe bleed? - Update

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozarkansas

Reaction score
This morning it's unusually warm, all the rabbits think it's spring and are ready to breed. So I decided to do my planned breedings 2 days early. One was a senior pair of Dutch that have had 4 litters together so far. They are used to each other and usually the buck is eager and the doe is reluctant but lifts enough for him to get 2-3 fall offs and then they're done. Well this morning the doe decided for the first time ever she was VERY ready to breed! She lifted her entire back half of her body right in his face and started twitching her tail. I saw 2 good fall offs and then stepped away for a few seconds. I heard the 3rd fall off and went to separate them. They both had blood on their parts and the doe had blood on her face. At first I thought the doe had bit him but 5 minutes after separating the buck was clean, and the doe is obviously the one bleeding. Its not a lot of blood, but I was wondering has anyone else had this happen before? Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Is the bleeding from her vagina? It sounds like it, but you weren't very specific. Is her genital area just stained with blood or is she actively bleeding? If the amount of blood is very small and isn't ongoing, I would just monitor her. If it is worse than that, please explain further so someone with experience of this can help you.

MaggieJ":1cayl12u said:
Is the bleeding from her vagina? It sounds like it, but you weren't very specific. Is her genital area just stained with blood or is she actively bleeding? If the amount of blood is very small and isn't ongoing, I would just monitor her. If it is worse than that, please explain further so someone with experience of this can help you.

Yes it was. She was actively bleeding for about 10 minutes, not gushing blood but definitely bleeding. She licked it all off now, but she still has blood on her blaze (the white section of a Dutch rabbits' face). She was still bleeding when I wrote the OP this morning, but seems to be fine now. It just greatly surprised me because I walked about 5 feet away to anther rabbit's cage, heard the fall off after not more than 30 seconds later, and came back to very noticeable blood on both of them, and blood on the straw in the cage. I think she is fine now, but I wanted to know if anyone had experience with this.

-- Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:39 pm --

So I have an update. And it's not good :cry: Ambrosia passed away giving birth today. Whether it had anything to do with what happened when I bred her I'm not sure. I opened her up to get the last kit out (who sadly didn't make it), and there seemed to be a lot of internal bleeding going on. The 4 remaining kits are being fostered on a freinds doe. Fingers crossed they make it.

Thanks Maggie. So far so good. It took a bit of convincing for the doe with 2 week old babies to get that she now has to feed the newborns as well, but they are getting fed.

Sorry for your loss. Did you by chance do an autopsy of the doe to see if there was anything wrong in the tract?

mystang89":1lf99070 said:
Sorry for your loss. Did you by chance do an autopsy of the doe to see if there was anything wrong in the tract?
Not a full autopsy, but I did open her up to get the last kit out (who didn't end up making it). There was no stuck kits and everything seemed normal except for a ton of blood. Blood was everywhere inside and out. I think she had a hemorrhage or somthing.... <br /><br /> -- Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:19 am -- <br /><br /> Unfortunately we lost all the kits. :( But I have an older daughter from the same breeding and she just got her Grand Championship! So now I'm watching her like a hawk because just my luck the weirdest thing will happen to her and she'll die. That's how my rabbits treat me :?

Latest posts

Back