Grand kids...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have have two of our granddaughters [7 and 10 years old] living with us [long story]
anyway-- last night were were working / playing outdoors.
The girls and I cleaned out the pea vine row, took down the crop support , and took all the old twine to the trash. The 10 year old, was so proud to be able to use her new pocket knife to cut all the twine loose from the stakes. [I gave her a knife for her birthday, but she can only use it with supervision ] We are all excited to start a garden- - being modern day children,- the first thing they both wanted to know ... "is this going to be an "organic" garden, and are our vegetables going to be "organically grown" ? ... since i don't have rabbits at our new place yet, -I may have to take them with me when I buy "manure" .....
We are building the cages for rabbits and laying hens now-
so-- While discussing the "cages"... The 10 year old and I had an interesting conversation about rabbits... she asked if she could help me take care of the rabbits, -I said no-- she asked why- I said.. you have made it clear that you no longer want to eat rabbit because they are pets not food..., [we have talked about how she ate it with me as a baby] - so, i don't want you working with the rabbits while viewing them as pets,- because,- i am not willing to put up with all of your drauma, when we eat your pets-- she said-- OK ,I guess I will eat rabbit with you ...
Kids are funny...

That's funny but like they say, "kids will be kids". Some people just get to attached I guess to process or eat them.
Heck, I have a 71 year old sister that still won't eat rabbit. :x

Seems to me that the girl has quite understandable conflicting feelings. Yes, rabbits are cute and pretty and she has probably been taught to view them as pets. But she also wants the experience of caring for them and helping her grandpa. You put the situation to her, Michael, in a way that made her consider what was most important to her. I'd say she chose wisely and that you should feel gratified by her decision.

Back