Turkey Sausage Recipes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So, I ordered the turkeys for this year, I've been getting 20 each year but ordered 30 this year because I want to try a couple new recipes. I've been googling turkey sausage recipes but seem to only come up with recipes that use turkey sausage in them, not the recipe for the sausage itself. Does anyone make turkey sausage and have a favourite recipe that they like to use? White meat or dark meat? Spices? Fillers?

The turkeys have been a great project for me. Many people get the whole birds from me and put their names in for the following year. The legs, thighs, wings and breast roasts are pretty popular and I seem to eat predominately turkey now in various forms. Curry turkey gets made around here pretty regularly as well as ground turkey pasta. I'm experimenting with a turkey breast roll, cut flat and then rolled up with bacon, cheddar cheese and onion in the middle, working on the spices that would go with that.

It's been a wonderful journey down the culinary path.

Turkey sausage sounds interesting! Glad the turkeys are working out so well for you, Truckinguy. :goodjob:

Homer, nice to see you back. :D Here we have two new mods for you to :pokeeye: and not a peep out of you for ages. Hope all is well with you, buddy!

Homer":30rk37ys said:
I just searched Duck Duck (I don't use google anymore) .com <snip>

I'm sure I could get this thread sidetracked, may have to spin off the thread. But, yeah, back in 1998 I thought Google was the best thing since slice bread, I appreciated how they separated sponsored links (advertiser links) from normal search results. The competition Yahoo and others were rather sneaky about advertiser links. Most of my searches were not about buying things, but when I was interested in purchases, I would follow sponsored links on purpose. I even told friends about that "new Google thing".

But in the last several years, I've really started to worry about them. And now it seems that they have there hands in everything. So much for "don't be evil". I wish they would have just stuck to being the best damn search engine.

I've always been anti-monopoly, my saying is that when capitalism works for the consumer, it works because of choice. Companies have a tendency that "make them wanna" become monopolies. If that happens, everyone gets screwed except for the company.

Thanks, Homer, I took a quick look at that link and it looks promising. I'll check it out further when I get a few minutes.

Turkeys, chickens, eggs, rabbits, all healthy foods and home raised... If I can get the garden going this year we'll eat like kings around here!

:hijacked: :eek:fftopic3:

MaggieJ":3sjc5563 said:
...Homer, nice to see you back. :D Here we have two new mods for you to :pokeeye: and not a peep out of you for ages. Hope all is well with you, buddy!

Been up to my eyeballs in it lately Maggie. I have been doing a hole house remodel. Started with the ceilings, moving walls and ended with all new hardwood floors, well almost. Was still putting down the new trim around the floor and went to help a friend at his place for a day. Broke some knuckles in my right hand and couldn't really type with the cast. Using my left hand for anything is not a viable option...

It started feeling better the other day and I cut the cast off, got on here and replied to T.G. and birthday wish to How'smom. Yeah I know, T. M. I. but hey, you asked. :p

As for the fresh meat, I mean new mods, I'll try and get to work on that when the hand's a little better. With Miss M not being around I doubt they've been taught proper chair etiquette. :cheesysmile: :pinkbunny:

Ghost - Don't even get me started on Google, you don't have enough time in your life. ;)

So...back to the turkeys. Where do you order your birds Truckinguy? I was kind of surprised to see how much some places ask for them. I need them like I need another hole in my head but think it would be fun to grow some out to butcher. From what I've read, 18-20 weeks and they're prime. :chef:

:hijacked:
Homer":1d9aj51f said:
As for the fresh meat, I mean new mods, I'll try and get to work on that when the hand's a little better. With Miss M not being around I doubt they've been taught proper chair etiquette. :cheesysmile: :pinkbunny:
I'll grant that my form may not be perfect, but hey, who's to say I won't get better with practice? :chair: :p

Homer":1d9aj51f said:
So...back to the turkeys. Where do you order your birds Truckinguy? I was kind of surprised to see how much some places ask for them. I need them like I need another hole in my head but think it would be fun to grow some out to butcher. From what I've read, 18-20 weeks and they're prime. :chef:
Mmmm, yup, DH wants to get some turkeys next year as well... I should keep up with this thread to get some ideas! And keep an eye on that trouble-maker, Homer!
:popcorn:

Yeah, you keep Homer in line, Nymph! :chair: Just be sure to spare his sore knuckles or he won't be able to post.

Homer, glad most of the reasons you were AWOL were productive ones. Ouch! for the knuckles though.

Nymphadora":1hf44qn3 said:
...And keep an eye on that trouble-maker, Homer![/size]
:popcorn:

A little pie to go with that popcorn?

254399b72e061d336f68b663988e6d6f.gif

MaggieJ":1hf44qn3 said:
... Ouch! for the knuckles though.
Moving a 600 lb. table saw and the equipment skate under one corner popped out from under it and got me. Still pretty sore but getting better. Good enough to pitch a pie anyway. :laugh2:

Hey....what makes you assume we will stand still...and in front of a target, no less?

Rookie duck.

For those who asked Turkeys, Ducks and Chickens happily get along all together I have 3 Midget White Turkeys (1 Tom two hens) 6 ducks (3 drakes/3 hens yea will be butchering the extra drakes next week) and about 35 chickens all different kinds from XL to Bantams (yep I like to mix things up) and for those looking for turkeys check with your local breeders you will most likely beat the price of the big hatcheries and in the case of the heritage birds like MWT you get a great birds for the table that don't have a horrible attitude. Which may not seem like a big deal but if you have ever been flogged by a rooster image if it was the size of a turkey. :x For those in the Midwest feel free to reach out to me and if I'm not close enough for you I have a good network of those who are.

Marinea":1ne9t7mk said:
Hey....what makes you assume we will stand still...and in front of a target, no less?

Rookie duck.

Well, ya got talked into being mods didn't ya?

image00222.gif

Dani4Hedgies":1ne9t7mk said:
For those who asked Turkeys, Ducks and Chickens happily get along all together I have 3 Midget White Turkeys (1 Tom two hens) 6 ducks (3 drakes/3 hens yea will be butchering the extra drakes next week) and about 35 chickens all different kinds from XL to Bantams (yep I like to mix things up) and for those looking for turkeys check with your local breeders you will most likely beat the price of the big hatcheries and in the case of the heritage birds like MWT you get a great birds for the table that don't have a horrible attitude. Which may not seem like a big deal but if you have ever been flogged by a rooster image if it was the size of a turkey. :x For those in the Midwest feel free to reach out to me and if I'm not close enough for you I have a good network of those who are.

Good info Dani, thanks! KC is a bit far to go for a few turkeys but thanks, I'll keep looking a bit closer to home.

Homer":3hiyvgyk said:
:hijacked: :eek:fftopic3:

MaggieJ":3hiyvgyk said:
...Homer, nice to see you back. :D Here we have two new mods for you to :pokeeye: and not a peep out of you for ages. Hope all is well with you, buddy!

Been up to my eyeballs in it lately Maggie. I have been doing a hole house remodel. Started with the ceilings, moving walls and ended with all new hardwood floors, well almost. Was still putting down the new trim around the floor and went to help a friend at his place for a day. Broke some knuckles in my right hand and couldn't really type with the cast. Using my left hand for anything is not a viable option...

It started feeling better the other day and I cut the cast off, got on here and replied to T.G. and birthday wish to How'smom. Yeah I know, T. M. I. but hey, you asked. :p

Ghost - Don't even get me started on Google, you don't have enough time in your life. ;)

I get my chickens and turkeys from the local feed store in town who get them from a local hatchery. I get the Bronze turkeys and usually get them 2-3 weeks old in early May but they aren't offering those this year, only day olds so I am getting them in late April and I have to build a brooder for them for the first 2-3 weeks before I can put them outside in the shed. This year I paid $7.40cdn per chick.

I usually start processing the females during August as I get the time and they end up anywhere from 15-18 pounds on the table. I grow the toms out until October when they are up around 40+ pounds live weight and part them out, leg quarters, drumsticks, thighs, wings, breast roasts and ground from all the trimmings. After the pieces are removed the carcasses have mostly been going into the compost but this year I hope to use a lot of them to make stock. Hearts, livers, kidneys and legs go to a friend of mine for her dogs. I get three or four garbage pails of feathers each year which usually go into the compost but I would also like to find a use for them.

Back