I screwed up

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found a surprise litter today spread on the ground around the cage of a junior doe I brought home a couple weeks ago.
Most still twitching so hurried them onto the heating pad and took them inside. All but one looked like they were coming back - yay!
So I take a couple minutes to eat something and the heating pad goes nuclear. They're all panting and I think I cooked one to death. I feel so horrible! :-o :(
I took them back outside and put them in a nest box for her. Hopefully she'll figure out what to do and some of them make it.

Bad luck with the heating pad, but hardly something you could foresee and therefore prevent. Hope at least some of them make it in spite of their rough start. :clover: :clover: :clover:

Yeah, luckily mine were in a flemish size box and I found them all wiggled to the end when I did that. I have an adjustable reptile tank heating pad now that I use for everything.

Thanks! There's still some life in the box, I stuck my hand in this morning but didn't take them out to check if they'd been fed yet. I hope I didn't screw up their development with the overheating.

I know it is little consolation, but with rabbits you always have to do the most good for the most rabbits. You have to remember that a few will always be lost along the way. You did the best you could. Don't be ashamed to shed a few tears for the ones that don't make it, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

At the first of the month we had two litters (17 total kits). Unfortunately, they kindled in the midst of the worst winter weather we've had so far. Today, we have three of the kits left. It happens, despite all we do to make it better.

Don't beat yourself up.

Back