Register

GI stasis

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 2,435.00

Re: GI stasis

Post Number:#31  Unread postby ipoGSD » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:16 pm

A77.. yes he does

And Vet wasnt in today. :(

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 7,390.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby Sagebrush » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:56 pm

ipoGSD, I am so very sorry that you are having to deal with this. Though there are many reasons why I vet would choose to with-hold pain medication and motility meds due to the health of the bunny, I personally am not seeing that. There is always two sides of a coin. I would suggest you take ALL the information you have from the current vet and FIRE him. By that I mean go to a different vet. Tell them what has been going on, and I do mean ALL. Have them request the records for the original vet you saw for him.
I hope that helps you ipoGSD. PM me if you have further questions though, I will do my best to help.

The following user would like to thank Sagebrush for this post
ipoGSD

Site Supporter
Female

Post Number:#33  Unread postby ipoGSD » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Buster us back to not wanting to eat or drink. Tuesday morning seems to be forever away.. and i do plan in taking him to a different vet.

I can't even do any subq fluids. No pharmacy will give needles without a Rx. And even if i could get a needle, you nee an Rx for the fluids..

Im back to trying to get him to eat/drink every hour
Last edited by ipoGSD on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BunnyBucks: 1,667.00

Post Number:#34  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:45 pm

So sorry all this is happening! Not sure what laws are where you live, but in Arkansas I can go to tractor supply and buy a 24 pack of needles without anybody looking twice at me. And I'm under the age of 16 :P
Ozarkansas Rabbits and Cavies
Raising quality purebred Beveren, Dutch, English Spot, Holland Lop, and Tan rabbits. As well as White Crested cavies. Primarily for show in NW Arkansas.
htpp://www.ozarkansasrabbits.com

The following user would like to thank Ozarkansas for this post
ipoGSD

Site Supporter
Female

Post Number:#35  Unread postby ipoGSD » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:13 pm

Just called even tho i knew the answer, The pharmacist said a vet needs to call it in (needle)

In my home state in vermont i could walk into cvs and they give them right out. I know this because ive done it. I would always buy the big thing of frontline to save money. draw up the dosage for my little dogs using the needle, remove the needle and apply it between their shoulders. Vermont u can also vaccinate your own puppy, you can buy the vaccines at tractor supply. Here in CT, its illegal to do your own puppy shots.

He is nibbling on some hay. What sucks is he will feel hungry then after he eats hes in pain.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,390.00

Post Number:#36  Unread postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:56 pm

I wouldn't wait. He has been in too much pain for far to long. Pain will also slow down digestion, causing your bun more pain. Please keep us updated on how he is doing, though you have been doing an amazing job of that so far!

Site Supporter
Female

Post Number:#37  Unread postby ipoGSD » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:01 pm

I know.. unfortunately because today is a holiday everything was closed.. :(

-- Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 pm --

So since what i was doing didnt seem to be working gor him. I started offering lettuce. He plowed thru it. I keep giving his gas drops, lactulose, CC, hay and now romane lettuce. Everytime i waa putting the lettuce in he devoured it. He seems to be getting better!

Because of money we (wife and I) both decided to ask the vet we took him to if they would give motility/pain meds and if not then we would go to a different vet). Vet agreed to the motility medd but not pain meds. Said pain meds would slow his progress. (Umm... ok??) He had his first dose of cisapride tonight. That crap is not cheap! Its a compound, had to be called into a pharmacy that mixes their own meds! (I was hoping it could be something walmart could fill for 4 dollars lol yeah, right!) For 20 milligrams, a 2 week supply it was 62.50.

I asked the pharmacy, does it have to me mixed up? (Thinking if i dont use it all it would be great to have on hand) nope, it had to be mixed. I picked apple flavor and that at least was a hit. He loved it.

He even ate some pellets, i only gave him a few. But things seem to be steadily going in the right direction!!!

He is friggen cute!!! He goes to the dish we put his lettice on and if its empty he looks at us!!!! And he even was trying to hop out of the kiddie pool today. So he's feeling better and gaining energy :)

-- Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:01 pm --

*****UPDATE*****

Buster is officially out of stasis!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,368.00

Post Number:#38  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:02 pm

So glad to hear that Buster made it through. After all your caring, hard work and expen$e, a happy ending was definitely called for!
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
ipoGSD

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,765.00

Post Number:#39  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:30 am

great news, I'm lad he made it through ^^

The following user would like to thank KimitsuKouseki for this post
ipoGSD

Site Supporter
Female

Post Number:#40  Unread postby ipoGSD » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:43 am

He is still on the motility drug but im weaning him off it slowly. I've read lots if bunnies have went into stasis if the meds are stopped suddenly. But all is good, hes gaining weight, eating lots of hay (we drove 2 hours to buy 4 good quality tim/orchard mix bales of hay) and is happy go lucky.

Boy that critical care is definitely something i recommend everyone should keep on hand!!!

Previous