What are her color genetics?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So I'll be posting more with each litter, and y'all were super helpful with helping me figure out my REW Doe's genetics. Now my mom's REW has finally had her first live litter, and gave my mom 6 babies. The father is my Black/Orange harlequin buck. All 6 appear to be harlequins. They were born yesterday so I don't know exactly what color(s) go with the black, but I would assume orange. What does this say about my mom's REW's genetics? I will get a better picture of them when I go down to see her this weekend, but this is what my mom sent me (though I did tweak it a bit to better see the ones in the top of the picture) <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:47 pm __________ <br /><br /> My mom just sent me a better picture. All are definitely harlequins, and I'm still expecting all to be black/orange. They are marked way cleaner than I expected since the father is a poorly marked harlequin who's stripes are more like slightly visible orange swirls. Thoughts on the Doe's genetics?

Attachments

• IMG_20180124_075409.jpg
    IMG_20180124_075409.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 1,161
  • IMG_20180124_134343.jpg
    IMG_20180124_134343.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 1,147
It means that at least one of the parents is ejej and that the other one is either ejej or eje. If they are all black orange then the sire does not carry a recessive on the "C" locus (well probably there is still a slight chance he could). If all the kits are ejej, it doesn't tell us anything about the agouti locus because ejej will make everything look harlequin no matter what the agouti status is.

Thanks. I'll definitely be posting more as the litter grows. Now, my Buck's dam threw blue, chocolate, and lilac too. Could my buck also carry any of those? If so, does anyone have pictures of newborns of those colors? I personally have only ever delt with black, white, fawn, and now at least one chestnut so I really don't know what the other colors look like yet. I'm just assuming they are all black/orange because their sire is

So far, they all look like black based harlequin patterned kits to me. If your doe's dam threw both colors, there is a good chance your girl would have gotten at least one of those fun color genes.. It takes both parents to express recessive colors like dilute, chocolate or lilac(which is both,) so if the buck can't throw them, then the doe never will if paired with him.

Well I know my Buck's dam threw them, but since my mom got her doe from a feed store, we know nothing about her genetic background

It's fine. Happens to everyone :D

__________ Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:17 pm __________

The litter is confirmed black/orange as I expected. One has a gorgeously clean face split though. It's the one in the front center of the picture, and is very easy to find

Attachments

• IMG_20180127_181624.jpg
    IMG_20180127_181624.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 1,092
Back