Need help with splay rear feet

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenoshaRabbits

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am having difficulty dealing with splay feet with one of my rabbits. I have a three month old french angora rabbit with splay rear feet. It is probably a genetic issue with this little guy; none of his litter mates have this issue; he wasn't kept on a smooth surface; etc.

I could use some suggestions on how to proceed.

I started using a homemade brace for his rear legs as suggested here:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/splayleg.html
I put a cork between his rear legs and wrapped stretchy-athletic tape around his legs. It worked in keeping his legs in a more natural position. The drawback is it got messy fast!

The feces collected between the cork and his body including the cecotropes. He is a runt, maybe 2-3 pounds at this point; so there isn't much room between the cork and his body. I assume if he grows this will end up being less of an issue as there will be more separation between the cork and his vent area.

Until then I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on treating splay legs? Perhaps suggestions for rear braces with smaller rabbits.

Thanks

"Splayleg bunnies can be perfectly happy with a little extra care and cleaning." If he's happy just let it be.

I don't know if it is the same for rabbits as chickens but a multi vitamin supplement in their water would do wonders for splayed legs. I would research the amount and kind of vitamins to give a rabbit but it couldn't hurt to try.

Back