First pelt

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
I am about to tan my first pelt. It in the freezer until I get all the supplies. But I am excited since it a pretty pelt off an adult broken NZ. I was hoping to use him for breeding but he came to me sneezing and snoting. I am using the EZ tan method I found mentioned on here. Will update once I get the supplies and start the process.

Good luck!!! :good-luck: :good-luck: :good-luck:
I also have my first pelts in the freezer, I'm just waiting to get some more pelts to fill my pickle

Anyone know how long to keep a single pelt in the pickle for? It is off an 8 month old buck and in a salt pickle with Saftee acid. Has been in there 36 hours. Was hoping to do fleshing this afternoon at the two day mark. Does it need to stay in there three days or two?

Oh my!
I flesh after 3 to 12hour in the pickle and then pickle again 30 to 48h. If you pickle too long before fleshing, the fur will come off when you start working it. I've wasted a couple gorgeous giants thanks to that :(
After you've pickled a second time you hang it to dry a bit so the fur wont be falling off as easilly as when you're scraping.

So I did the fleshing and it went okay. I did not lose any fur other than punching two holes in the pelt. It was harder to do than expected. However is there a way to hold a pelt for 24 after oiling and tanning so I can break it later? I am trying to get this done around my work schedule. So I might need to hold it about 16 hours between oiling and breaking.

if it's just the back pelt open flat, just fold it on a clothes hanger. If it's a full pelt with the head, hang it from the nose on the hook of a clothes hanger. In both cases you can just hang it in your shower.

KimitsuKouseki":1ffienvf said:
if it's just the back pelt open flat, just fold it on a clothes hanger. If it's a full pelt with the head, hang it from the nose on the hook of a clothes hanger. In both cases you can just hang it in your shower.

But wouldn't it be dry after 16 hours? Don't you need to break it while it is drying? Can I freeze it while wet or wet it after it is dry? So I can break it then?

Myself I break after 24h and rebreak every 24h until it dried completly. If you feel its too dry you can rewet it, but the point is to dry it. enough where the fibers will tear

I flesh hides fresh and green using scissors, if that helps? But then again, I follow that up by drying them to store until I get to them for processing so perhaps not so helpful?

Latest posts

Back