GI stasis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alforddm, i will get the probiotics for him tomorrow, ill have to go to tractor supply and hope they have it. I have been without a car since dec 27th. I JUST got my car back tonight at 5. So now i wont have to beg to borrow someones car :)

And buster has been drinking his electrolyte water, quite a bit of it actually. I had to refill his dish. (Small dollar store cat food dish) And i still offer some more with the syringe, i can usually get him to drink 9-15cc's at a time ontop of what he has been drinking on his own. But that info for subq fluids is definitely a big help. Hopefully i wont need to do that but great info if i do!!! Thank you!!!

And yes harelady, i fully agree.. i have NO clue why he wouldn't give him motility meds. I asked over and over! The vet just said the pineapple is safer and less invasive on him. Friggen p****d me off. Paid 200 for a vet visit in order for mainly 3 things.. fluids, motility and pain meds for him. And only left with a laxative and his subq was done. And of course the xray.

He has been eating more hay today vs yesterday. I keep offering fresh handfuls vs leaving older stuff for him to eat. He likes it FRESH. :)

I'm with you on vets being rly expensive and sadly some will be very... mmm whats the word..... cheap? Aka give you nothing but charge an arm and leg.
I've had a vet promise over the phone she'd give me the penniciline to treat my whole herd. I made her confirm 3 times she would before I went. Ans once I was in the clinic and was forced to pay
she then sent me back out with nothing other then the confirmation I do need peniciline to treat my issue and if I want to treat them I have to bring all 20 rabbits every 3 days for a period of 2 weeks and obviously pay every time for the group visit and injections...... I told her nevermind, payed that visit (otherwise they wouldve called the cops, but darn they didnt deserve my money) and walked out. She was the closest exotic vet to my region and still was 40min away. Got my penniciline from a different vet who's 20min further away then her. I also visited every single vet (none of em do exotics) and pet shop in my area and told them to never send their customers over there telling them my story. She was the closest so they often sent people there and did get a few people come back telling them they had poor service but with my story they were horrified. I also tell all the people I sell my rabbits to about this so they never go there. So yeah... I get it.

In your case though I think the fluids he gave him most likelly saved your bunny's life. True the issue isnt solved and there are issues, but your bunny managed to get through the most critical stage other treatments might not have helped enough in time. Also now you know the fluids really made a difference on your bunny so you can research and save time/money if it ever happens again. Wich you might not have known/tried otherwise. So I think even without him giving you all you wanted, it was positive enough to have made your expense worth it.

Also, I'd like to thank you for sharing the progress. I didn't know about pineapple juice/pieces and will know to try it myself and recommend it in the future.

Edit: Inappropriate language
I'm so so sorry I truly didnt realise I did that x.x

Just a friendly reminder, please use family-friendly language on this forum, folks! I understand some of these subjects may make your blood boil, but we have youngsters on this site, and some people are averse to cursing and swearing regardless of age.

Thank you,
Nymph

(Pardons for the slight derailment, back to helping ipoGSD's bunny get better now!)

Kimitsu, glad my post will possibly help a bunny or 2 in the future :) for the amount to give, i hope this also helps.. at the vets buster weighed a hair over 2 lbs (lost quite a bit of weight from stasis- his sister weighs a hair under 3lbs) and the vet recommended 2cc's of fresh pineapple juice every 4 hours. Said anything other than using juice from whole pineapple the enzymes will either be gone or mostly gone. (No cans..powders..fruit cups)

I dont mind that it was 200 the first day- well 186 and some change. And 24 and some change the next day. (Was happy my mom let me use her CC to charge it) It truly did save my favorite bunnies life. I just wish this vet wasnt like a know-it-all just because he went to college. So many people have done so much research with their passion animal(s) that they are more educated than a vet in some aspects. It seems they donttttt like that at all!

Dont even get me started on my knowledge of k9 nutrition vs a vet who wants to push foods they get paid to endorse lol!!!!!

As for the vet not giving antibiotics for your bunnies.. thats just them pulling a power trip. I had pet ball pythons for years. And my vet in VT (where i was born and raised) gave me enough dewormer for all my breeder rats without having to see a one of them. To me, thats a nice vet. One who sees you care and are willing to work with you.

As for my baby Buster, he is still improving. Be it slow.. its still an improvement :) he still is eating hay on his own. Seems when he eats too much tho his belly starts hurting, he huddles up for a while after. He is pooping, and because hes eating a lot of timothy hay and a tad of orchard his poops are nice and round and fiberous.

I tried offering a little bit of oats but he didnt want any parts of them. Im agraid to add a small amount of pellets.. anyone have any advice on that? All hes had is hay and critical care. I've wondered about fresh wet greens but again..im nervous.

My other bunny Snickers (daughters bunny actually) who went thru stasis was used to greens so they werent an issue at all and they are what kept her eating. Buster has had greens but not too much, because of his age. And when he started coming out of stasis Sunday, i was giving wet greens/pellets he crashed.

So... advice? <br /><br /> -- Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:43 pm -- <br /><br /> Oh and we got his pro biotics tonight from tractor supply. "Probios multi species"

Would he eat pumpkin? Or pumpkin puree? That is something ive given dogs and cats to help move things along and I have been feeding it regularly to my buns. It is high in fiber and for most quite palatable because its sweet.
I wouldnt think a tablespoon or two would cause to much of an issue gut wise.

Thats actually a good idea.. i forgot all about pumpkin!
I did give him a few pellets. Literally 10 of them. But then i made sure to get him to drink a little extra.. gonna have to run to the store for pumpkin!!! Ty!!!!!

I keep hearing his belly gurgle so loud so i know his belly still isnt right. Even without hearing his belly, just the way he hunches up tells all.. hes in pain..

Im gonna call the vet today and ask for motility and pain meds, buster has been like this too long its not fair to him. If the vet refuses to give them to me but says bring him back in.. i will go for a second opinion at a different vet..

ipoGSD, I am so very sorry that you are having to deal with this. Though there are many reasons why I vet would choose to with-hold pain medication and motility meds due to the health of the bunny, I personally am not seeing that. There is always two sides of a coin. I would suggest you take ALL the information you have from the current vet and FIRE him. By that I mean go to a different vet. Tell them what has been going on, and I do mean ALL. Have them request the records for the original vet you saw for him.
I hope that helps you ipoGSD. PM me if you have further questions though, I will do my best to help.

Buster us back to not wanting to eat or drink. Tuesday morning seems to be forever away.. and i do plan in taking him to a different vet.

I can't even do any subq fluids. No pharmacy will give needles without a Rx. And even if i could get a needle, you nee an Rx for the fluids..

Im back to trying to get him to eat/drink every hour

So sorry all this is happening! Not sure what laws are where you live, but in Arkansas I can go to tractor supply and buy a 24 pack of needles without anybody looking twice at me. And I'm under the age of 16 :p

Just called even tho i knew the answer, The pharmacist said a vet needs to call it in (needle)

In my home state in vermont i could walk into cvs and they give them right out. I know this because ive done it. I would always buy the big thing of frontline to save money. draw up the dosage for my little dogs using the needle, remove the needle and apply it between their shoulders. Vermont u can also vaccinate your own puppy, you can buy the vaccines at tractor supply. Here in CT, its illegal to do your own puppy shots.

He is nibbling on some hay. What sucks is he will feel hungry then after he eats hes in pain.

I wouldn't wait. He has been in too much pain for far to long. Pain will also slow down digestion, causing your bun more pain. Please keep us updated on how he is doing, though you have been doing an amazing job of that so far!

I know.. unfortunately because today is a holiday everything was closed.. :(

-- Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 pm --

So since what i was doing didnt seem to be working gor him. I started offering lettuce. He plowed thru it. I keep giving his gas drops, lactulose, CC, hay and now romane lettuce. Everytime i waa putting the lettuce in he devoured it. He seems to be getting better!

Because of money we (wife and I) both decided to ask the vet we took him to if they would give motility/pain meds and if not then we would go to a different vet). Vet agreed to the motility medd but not pain meds. Said pain meds would slow his progress. (Umm... ok??) He had his first dose of cisapride tonight. That crap is not cheap! Its a compound, had to be called into a pharmacy that mixes their own meds! (I was hoping it could be something walmart could fill for 4 dollars lol yeah, right!) For 20 milligrams, a 2 week supply it was 62.50.

I asked the pharmacy, does it have to me mixed up? (Thinking if i dont use it all it would be great to have on hand) nope, it had to be mixed. I picked apple flavor and that at least was a hit. He loved it.

He even ate some pellets, i only gave him a few. But things seem to be steadily going in the right direction!!!

He is friggen cute!!! He goes to the dish we put his lettice on and if its empty he looks at us!!!! And he even was trying to hop out of the kiddie pool today. So he's feeling better and gaining energy :) <br /><br /> -- Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:01 pm -- <br /><br /> *****UPDATE*****

Buster is officially out of stasis!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!

He is still on the motility drug but im weaning him off it slowly. I've read lots if bunnies have went into stasis if the meds are stopped suddenly. But all is good, hes gaining weight, eating lots of hay (we drove 2 hours to buy 4 good quality tim/orchard mix bales of hay) and is happy go lucky.

Boy that critical care is definitely something i recommend everyone should keep on hand!!!

Back