Treating for Ear Mites/Breeding Q

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie Dog Trainer

Reaction score
Hi!

I am treating all three of my rabbits for earmites that I discovered about two weeks ago. I would like to breed one of my does this week but I am not sure if I should since I am giving her a second dose of Ivermectin today. Will this effect the pregnancy? How have any of you dealt with mite treatment on your breeding or bred does? Thanks in advance. :)

I treat my entire herd every 4 months with ivomec. More as a prevention then anything else. However I do not inject.I simply part the fur on there neck just behind the ears and apply 1 drop per pound of rabbit. I have trated preganet does lots of times with no negitive reations. I have heard that if ear mites are real bad drop the ivomec directly in ears using 1 drop per pound. I have never had a ear mite problem but have dealt with fur mites. So I trat as a preventive matter now. Good luck and hope this helps

I ran across a product called Vet-Rx, and it works wonders on mites. It doesn't leave the long-term oily residues that you will normally get with mineral oil (a very common remedy), and it clears them up usually with 1-2 applications.

Ivermectin in the paste form is fine.

I had a buck who had ear mites once, I smothered the whole inside of the ear in vaseline, it was completely cleared up and healed within a week. With no negative effects.

I don't see why you couldn't breed a doe being treated with ivermectin, but wait for someone who may have a for sure answer to come along, cause I'm not 100 percent.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back