10 week old rabbit wheezing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie28

Reaction score
So my husband just went out and one of our male rabbit was sitting by the door making a wheezing sound (I think its called Stridor). We have never noticed this sound before and it was pretty loud. My husband took him inside and after he calmed down for a few minutes the sound lessened but still there. No discharge eyes or nose and genitals and ears look good. Any ideas? Could it still be snuffles even though there is no discharge of excessive sneezing?
*cross posted*

Marie, you're not giving us much information to go by. Would you please add your location (province or state, or country if other than Canada or United States) and give us some idea of the conditions the rabbit was living in: indoors or outdoors, weather and air quality conditions, and anything else you think may be relevant.

There are several other respiratory problems that it might be rather than snuffles, but we need to know more about the situation.

Edited to add:
Your husband did the right thing to remove the rabbit from your rabbitry. You need to put strict quarantine protocols in place to protect the others while you are diagnosing and treating this rabbit's problems.

sorry :p Here is more info. We are in northern WI these rabbits are in our unheated 1-car garage. The weather has been in the negative teens the past week or so and has now risen to the 30 (fahrenheit). They have wire bottom cages but we use hay to help give warmth so the cages have more excess hay than normal. We just separated the bucks and does to different cages about a week ago.

Thank you for the details -- I think they are relevant in this case. Before we go any further, I suggest you put your location in your member profile, so it displays under your username at left. No one can remember everyone's location for future reference.

I suspect the sudden change in temperature may have triggered the problem. The air is probably quite damp. If you use the garage for a vehicle, exhaust fumes may have compounded the problem. It is impossible for me to say with any certainty, but I am inclined to think that the rabbit's problem is more likely pneumonia than snuffles. Try holding the rabbit so you can listen to its breathing.

Are these meat rabbits? If so, you might consider just sending this one to freezer camp a little early. Not to sound hard-hearted, but there is little point in medicating a rabbit that is on its way to the supper table in a short time anyway. If you do dispatch it, try to get a look at the lungs so that you can learn what you can about this problem, in case it crops up again.

Latest posts

Back