English Angora

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzMom

Reaction score
Any English Angora owners here? I'd love to discuss Ea's, or angoras in general. Do you keep yours in full coat? I'd like to try and show my girl. What are the best grooming tools? Do you have any fave diet reommendations? How is the personality of your Ea? Mine seems to have an attitude. What colors are your favorite. My girl is all white with red eyes. This is the first rabbit forum I've found with a breed section....pretty cool.

I "sort of" have 2

First there is Nikita : http://kimitsukouseki.wixsite.com/bunbun-stories/nikita
She was full coat when I bought her and sold as being a pure english angora. She looked it on the pictures... but in person she was tiny, smaller then some of my lionhead girls. So she was a "rip off" in a way, but for me she was amasing! My goal is to crossbreed english angoras with lionheads to create fluffy eared lionheads. (She's basicaly that already XD) The issue of english angoras being their size. Nikita is obviously a lionhead or dwarf cross so she's perfect for me. Blue eyes too wich is another trait I want in my rabbits ^^
When she came in, although the full coat made her look stunning, she'd obviously been neglected. Her back was fine enough, a few mats but it was fine, but her underside was so badly matted she could barelly walk. I had to shave her first thing. Her personality reflected the neglect, she hated being touched and it took me months to get her to mellow down. Now she's my indoor bunny whom I can pick up and have in my arms for hours. Just remember she wants her treat after ^.-
Nowadays, I shave her belly more often then her back, the back goes 3 months before the next sheering while her belly goes maybe 2 months top. As a wool producer, her fur is a bit softer then a pure angora I feel but you can't pluck her fur at all, she has to be shaved. I shave her using scisors and take my time to reduce stress. When spinning her wool, I blend it with Barbie's cause it's a bit too silky and doesnt spin as easilly when solo.

Second I have Barbie : http://kimitsukouseki.wixsite.com/bunbun-stories/barbie
She's a faulty pure english angora that was given to me. The lady breeds show quality and bought Barbie, but as she grew she turned out wrong. The lady never sent me the pedigree, but she was free so I cant complain too much. Aparently 3 generations ago a french angora had been added to the line to refresh the gene pool. Barbie seems to have been a case of old genes suddenly reapearing so her ears and face arent as fluffy as they should.
She's a very faded marpie with hazelnut eyes. She likes to box my hand using her head until I start petting her and will start nibbling quick if she's on my lap and I'm not doing anything (petting, plucking) As a wool producer, her fur is very easy to pluck. Try and sheer her and she'll rip the scisors out of your hand, but pluck her and she loves it so much she turns into a lump. I linked the video on the introduction tread but I'll post it again here I guess in case you didnt see it.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taH8dyitTa4[/youtube]

I prefer to sheer/pluck mine to avoid them getting badly matted like they used to be. Barbie's video, I plucked her a bit cause she has babies who love standing on top of her and they were making her dirty. I didnt pluck all of it, just the longest bits cause its too cold right now, she needs her fur, but at least she doesnt get as matted from the little monsters.

They sound adorable. I had the not purebred experience with a puppy awhile back, so I know what you mean. CottonBall didn't get much handling from the breeder. Sigh, and she doesn't eat treats. Makes it knda difficult to bond. But her coat feels like a big soft cloud! It's awesome, I just want to hold her!

My only rabbit who eats treats is Nikita, no one else likes em or will only eat them if they've been left in their cage for hours and like MaggieJ said in my graphic tread I have too many rabbits right now XD

Insted, try giving em veggies or apple slices. My dad bought Bokchoys the other day and I dont like em, but the rabbits do! SO Beckett has been eating them while I hold it up for her. Just keep in mind that when you introduce anything new to their diets you want to do only a little bit at a time over the course of several days. Too much and you'll make your rabbit sick even if it's just veggies. Also sweet stuff like apples is to be kept as a treat, it's too sweet and its like giving em candy, as a oncein a while treat its great though.

Silly girl doesn't even like apples. I think she'd be happy if I just fed her and never touched her in any way.

mmmm how about those apple sticks? They're little branches they can chew at. Nikita loves em, I actually ran out of those XD

Just be patient, you can bond even without toys or treats.
I have 2 exemples if that:
Eva was the first lionhead I bought, she's only single mane, but she has a great mane and I still count her as one of my favorites. She has great genes and I've had 3 astrex babies pop from her. She has her flaws but I dont mind em. When I went to buy her, she was so agressive and trying to get away so much that her owner couldnt even pick her up. For her, she wouldnt let me pet her, kinda like Nikita, every day I'd still try to pet her and would every chance she'd let me. So I insted picked her up by the neck skin (she'd fight and try to bite too much if picked up in any other fashion) , then rested her on my shoulder kinda like a baby you wanna make burp and held her tighly shaking her like a baby. 2 weeks later, she'd let me pick her up super easy and didnt need to be held so tight and was letting me pet her. I was never able to get her to be ok around other animals though so she is my only female who's a permanent stay and also a permanent solo cage. She's fine with a male only until the 4th fall off or so, she starts protesting after that and I take her out at the 6th. Normally I leave my females with their buck for a couple days, she's the only exeption. Rabbits dont like being on their backs with their belly exposed but from this video of her you can tell she trusts me. She shakes a bit when I pick up her head, but I did that cause she actually wasnt standing up herself and I wanted her to go back in her cage, wich she does after and you can see it was right next to her and open the whole time. Also, heating lamps + night = red video sorry :/
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn-fckb6E-M[/youtube]

Chipit is a netherland dwarf male I picked up from a little girl. She didn't like him and neglected him greatly so he was very skittish and wildlike. He's still a work in progress, but he's improved a lot. With him he was terrified of being touched. So I let him mostly hide but, every day when I give him water, I pet him on the forehead. Just that noting else. Touching him anywhere else obsviously upset him. When he started getting more "ok" with the forehead petting I tried other places. The cheeks, he hates, triggered a flight response instantly. The back he was uneasy about but somewhat let me. So I added it to my routine. Water, forehead pet, back pet. When he got ok with that too, I tried the cheeks again, big NOPE. Then I tried picking him up and he obviously wasnt happy but manageble. So I recently started doing like with Eva. As of today, he comes himself for his forehead pet, lets me back pet though not in love with it and lets me pick him up relativelly well. He's still got ways to go, but getting better. I've had him a couple months now. He remains unlisted on my website cause I'm going to breed him with Beckett once she gets better, keep a baby girl and then I'll find him a forever home where he can be treated better then the last place. He just cant do that in his curent condition still.

I'll try the shoulder holding idea. No, where do you get apple twigs? Whenever I pick her up she chatters teeth like she's cold too.

If she's grinding her teeth she's upset or in pain. If its a soft quiet chatter; that's rabbit purring (aka happy bunny).
As for the sticks, pet shop or online. Look up rabbit chew toy, not all rabbits like em though.

Only seems t happen when she's restrained, so probably nervous. Vet says she's ot in pain. Her teeth are ok as well. It's a fast hard chatter, not a slow quiet grind; like someone whos cold is the only way I know how to describe it. In her cage, or out being destructive, she's totally happy. She has wood toys, cardboard, hay and wood hay holder, metal food bowl, water bottle holding half gallon of water. Her cage is 30/36/24 all wire with wire floor and slide out tray. Her absolute fave is willow balls, I think she'd eat 2 a day if I let her!

FuzzMom":23l9edv6 said:
Any English Angora owners here? I'd love to discuss Ea's, or angoras in general. Do you keep yours in full coat? I'd like to try and show my girl. What are the best grooming tools? Do you have any fave diet reommendations? How is the personality of your Ea? Mine seems to have an attitude. What colors are your favorite. My girl is all white with red eyes. This is the first rabbit forum I've found with a breed section....pretty cool.

As far as grooming... For EAs the very best tool is a blower. With that You can get the tiny webs that are the start of tangles and matts. Combing and / or brushing will break the coat and make it raggity looking.
EAs need thorough blowing about once a week to keep the coat in good condition. Then just touch-ups at least every other day.
They ( the EAs) have the highest maintenance coat of all the rabbit breeds. And if neglected will matt in a flash ... to the point of needing to be clipped down.
I would suggest looking on You Tube for grooming instruction. It is sometimes hard to get the idea from the written words. But seeing how it is done can be super helpful.
Just Avoid like the plague any videos from animal rights groups. They stage horrible videos of people mistreating animals just to promote they agendas.

I Googled on You Tube : Grooming an Angora Rabbit and can up with a bunch of videos that could be helpful
Best wishes as You work with Your new bunny. Most EAs are very tolerant of handling. They have to be with that glorious coat !
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ora+rabbit

Hi thanks. the Cait Pringle video had lots of talking and gave good tips for a wiggly baby...helpful. Man, the prices on blowdryers! That'll be for next Christmas, unless I win the lottery, lol. Right now I'm using a slicker,,she hates itand I'm sure I'm ruining the coat. No mats though. I'm getting enough fur off her to make a whole new bunny! I know Ea's are supposed to be pliable and tolerant, that's why I'm surprised and disappointed with the attitude. Thanks for all the help.

The slicker will not get to the bottom of the tangles and forming knots. and Will pull a lot. :(
Even a shop vac with the blower option would be usable.
The first blower i had ... i got from Ebay at around $50. It did the job for quite a while.

I do have a shop vac that's been in storage. Yes the slicker does remove a lot of fur.

Breed "common" temperament descriptions are very misleading. They dont take account of each individuals, they're assumed molds. Each rabbit is different even between brother and sisters. I've had some of my gentler and most social bunnies be born along with what I call a "hair monster" who just think my hair is delicious delicious hay -_- and then you'd also have a terrified wildlike one who always hides. Hair monsters and wild ones always end up in freezer camp. I don't sell them as pets. But some breeders wont pay attention to this and will still sell them and it's the new famillies who have to deal with it. Some are fixable, others not, it happens.

You're right. To make matters worse, the breeder offered me :a male: which I passed on due to spraying indoors. "he" had a super temperament. I found out this month that "he" was actually a girl and she doesn't spray. super temper, but natch her mom won't part with her. I only got this one because I thought it was the only available female. Ugh! I'd never hurt her, but it's a real disappointment.

One thing you could try if there's a buck you can borrow is to mate yours. Some does with bad tempers will mellow down after they had babies. Some will be absolute monsters when they have kits too but it's a gamble. Either way, if she has babies, you can hand raise them, you'll know who is social and more gentle and you can go from there. Keep your girl if she got better or sell her and keep your favorite baby.

Right now there is no male. Maybe in the future...but not sure. I'm not sue how old they can be. Isn't there anage where they shouldn't e bred if they've never been a mom before?

FuzzMom":1fmergtx said:
Right now there is no male. Maybe in the future...but not sure. I'm not sue how old they can be. Isn't there anage where they shouldn't e bred if they've never been a mom before?

Rabbits do not seem to have that limitation. I've bred first time does that were well over 2 years. They did just fine. :)

Guinea Pigs i believe need to be bred at a younger age... due to the pelvic area becoming less flexible as they age.

Cool. I thought they were like guinea pigs in that way. Thanks for the grooming advice; you seem to know your wool breeds. I just spent about an hour clipping matts, mostly along the front legs, her teeth chattering the whole time. What clippers should I get? She's a true molting Ea, and she's starting to release fur in little trails stuck to the cage. I can't reach the lady that I know does bunny clipping locally. I just am paranoid of wool block.

If when you try to pull at the fur it comes by itself, just pluck her. You can tell how much Barbie loves being plucked on my video, she'd fit well in the "dead rabbits" thread. Plucking will allow you to evenly reduce the shedding wool without making her look like a funky poodle. I dont mind that look though I find it totes adorb :lol:
Points at Nikita :laugh2:
11qiz2t.jpg

If you decide to shave her, just use small sharp scisors, it's what I do with Nikita. Scisors arent noisy like clippers so the rabbit wont stress as much from it. Just take your time and you dont have to finish in a day if she starts protesting too much.

As for breeding older does, does accumulate fat around their ovaries and this can cause health issues over time in some cases. So if she's not spayed it's arguably better to breed her then not.

Latest posts

Back