How long does it take to build up sperm?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
I want to breed a proven buck to several does. How long a rest should I give him between does.

I tend to leave my bucks with the does for 10 minutes while I'm cleaning or doing odd jobs, and have had them cover the doe sucessfully around 4 times in those 10 minutes - naturally depending on the doe being receptive! I do know other breeders that will cover 2-3 does with one buck in a day, but as long as they're experienced and don't mis-fire too much, they could probably manage more.

Depends on the buck but I've had a mini rex cover something like 8-10 does overnight when he escaped into the colony so most could breed several does in the same day if a buck isn't being affected by age, temperature, lack of breeding, and other things that can lower the amount of live sperm. In those cases though you often fail to accomplish breeding any doe until they get things working again instead of only some of them.

I try to stick with one doe a day, but I have bred 2 does to one buck in a day successfully. There is definitely a possibility they can do more, but I don't want to wear them out.

Latest posts

Back