Deciding to get out of a breed

A place to post bits of news, ideas, musings and other things that don't really fit into the other forums.
1 year of membership
Posts: 101
Joined: May 27, 2016
United States of America
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 17 in 15 posts
BunnyBucks: 660.00

Deciding to get out of a breed

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Harelady » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:05 pm

Over the last several months I have been slowly cutting down on the number of Tan rabbits. I think I am going to stop breeding Tans and just keep my old timers as pets. I will continue to raise Belgians Hares but my heart is just not with the Tans anymore. I feel saddened by this decision but at the same time I feel relieved. I feel that I need to slow down on breeding and just keep my numbers low. With my health always in question, dogs/cat to care for, and a job to keep. Less rabbits might to a good thing right now. Anyone have a similar experience?

I did however on impulse buy a English Angora to replace my retired therapy rabbit. That was not really in my plans but I am excited to have a wool bearing rabbit. I may regret it later with all the grooming. :lol:

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1882
Joined: May 11, 2015
Location: NC
United States of America Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 196 in 183 posts
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Re: Deciding to get out of a breed

Post Number:#2  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:26 am

I am trying to decide which route I want to go. DH wants me to get more rabbits (I know, right? :lol: ) but I am wanting to pare down a bit. I would love a breeding set of 5, maybe even 3!, but can't decide which ones to get rid of. There are two more obvious ones, but still a tough decision. I also have a lady that wants to get out of rabbits and has two rex she wants me to take. Decisions decisions! Currently I am feeding 9 adults and it makes for more of a chore, not to mention the 25 grow outs ( :1pig: )... I know some on here can keep up to 50 and still enjoy it, but for the stage of life I am in, it's not happening.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 261
Joined: December 26, 2009
Thanks: 2
Thanked: 29 in 27 posts
BunnyBucks: 990.00

Re: Deciding to get out of a breed

Post Number:#3  Unread postby AprilW » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:04 pm

I was in the same position earlier this year, Harelady. I raised and showed Harlequin rabbits for a few years. They were a very challenging breed - I struggled to get correct size on my rabbits, competitive marking pattern WITH correct weight was unheard of, and so on. I was getting burned out and cut back drastically. Eventually, I sold out of rabbits completely except for a couple of pets.

Tans will always be around if you decide to return to them, but if you aren't happy you will get burned out like I was. Rabbits aren't fun at that point.
OlivYew Rabbitry: Breeding and showing purebred American Chinchilla rabbits

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1746
Joined: December 2, 2010
Location: Utica, NY vicinity
Thanks: 183
Thanked: 181 in 167 posts
BunnyBucks: 9,288.00

Re: Deciding to get out of a breed

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Random Rabbit » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:47 am

A few years back... i really struggled with giving up a breed we dearly loved.
It was so difficult to Make that decision, and i waffled for months, driving both my husband and myself to distraction.
I luved that breed... it was the breed that introduced us many years ago.
I still find them a lovely rabbit...but that "spark" just was not there.

Once i finally settled on what to do... it felt as tho the pressure was off.
We dispersed that rabbits of that breed.
Suddenly it was fun to go to the barn and care for the rabbits in there again.

I still stress about any major decisions... but i remind myself how life fell into place once my mind Finally got made up

Best wishes as You find what is Right for You !
Jersey Woolies
CM Homestead


7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 6808
Joined: July 17, 2010
Location: Iowa
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 949 in 847 posts
BunnyBucks: 35,100.00

Re: Deciding to get out of a breed

Post Number:#5  Unread postby akane » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:34 am

I went from mutt to purebreds to mutts to more purebreds. I can't say I truly found anything I was that attached to and if anything I shouldn't have given up my line of mutts I made but I had no purpose for them when I quit raising large numbers for meat and then moved so I didn't have access to a farm for keeping them. There have been some nice individuals but just not an entire breed I liked. I had 2 champagne d'argent I liked, a mini rex buck and completely unrelated doe from a pet store that was my first rabbit, a couple favorite ND, and this awesome american sable buck I actually returned free to his breeder when I started to have health issues and he'd produced a few offspring for me but far more of every breed were frustrating. The things I ended up enjoying were never recognized for show without the time and space to actually pursue getting them recognized myself. American chinchilla were probably my favorite but I only got my hands on 2 does right before I gave them up to move and then when I got some standard chinchilla because I couldn't find available american in driving distance the buck was stolen. I got tired of how nasty the local show quality ND were so I quit all rabbits when my nice frosty/ermine ND simply had no use except as feeders because everyone wants a rabbit for $20 with a cage. Selling unrecognized colors was pointless. I was thinking of a very small number of show quality tans to start rabbits back up because they aren't as hard to find as the chinchilla breeds and sell well even if I only get to one or 2 of the closest shows a year.
In order to save myself I must destroy first the me I was told to be -The Dreamer

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests