Are Himalayan colored rabbits Albino?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberRae

Reaction score
Are these rabbits considered albino? They have the red eyes. I thought they were but I also thought breeding two albino wpuild always give you albino. I have a cali buck that I have bred to an albino Havana many times. I have always got large litters of albino rabbits. The current litter however has a solid colored and a broken kit. Does this mean that my cali buck is not albino?

Someone will probly correct me, but I dont think himalayan is considered albino, but your buck probly carries it and since your doe is one you'd only have 25% chance of not getting an albino.

Himalayan colored rabbits are considered albino (its a temperature sensitive albino)
Havanas don't come in albino btw. Florida whites, however, are pretty much the same thing except they only come in white.
Himalayan bred to red eyed white should only get himalayan and red eyed white babies. Sometimes the himalayans get a grayish tinge as babies, that goes away with age, but theyll always have red eyes. If any kits have colored eyes or keep a solid color, then the cali isn't the father.

Thanks Sable,
So does this mean what I thought was a Havana isn't? The lady I received her from gave her to me because she was going to cull her since she was a rew and not a recognized color but she tild me she was a Havana. I did see several of her Havana breeders.
She has red eyes and so does my cali buck. They have had dozens of red eyed babies. The solid baby I would think was just grayish ting because I have seen that in the babies but the other one is defintley is white with broken spots of the grey color. Could this be the same as the babies having the solid grayish ting? The Cali is 100% the dad. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:50 pm __________ <br /><br /> Btw, their eyes have not open yet but I am very curious. They have to be red.
I will post pics when their eyes open.

The white parent could have the broken gene, so you could have broken himalayan baby (with they gray frosting only covering the areas that would be colored on a broken)

By definition a full albino animal must have absolutely no pigment and it gets more detailed than that when you actually look at how the genes work and whether the enzyme responsible for pigment is fully shut off. In some species any color can be converted to have red eyes with a separate gene that targets eye color. There are also often genes that start to remove so much pigment the eyes are impacted like himi rabbits but even many other colors that lighten the coat have a ruby tint to the eye that is more or less noticeable. Rabbits due have true albino individuals using the REW gene only. REW is hidden by all other genes that work in that same location. Himi, sable, and chinchilla are those related genes and then everything else is a typical full color. Because it has to lack all the more dominant genes that allow color to express in some areas and the ability to make pigment does not even exist you should never get a rabbit with both rew genes that has any mismarks or discoloration at all. If you do it's something other than rew that has been covered or washed out so much you can't see the color at least initially. That can happen with certain himis and nonextension sables that are often called frosty or ermine. Especially if you put white marking genes on there.

A rew bred to any other color but rew will also produce no more than 50% chance of rew and then only if the other rabbit carries rew. Himi carrying rew bred to rew will give you 50/50 odds of himi and rew but a himi with only 2 himi genes and no rew will never give you rew. All recessives work that way really such as dilute x dilute can only give you dilute colors. With dilute though we can see it's a diluted chocolate (lilac), diluted black(blue) or a diluted chestnut(opal) and even on himi you can make out most of the other color genes because you have dark points or even how the points are messed up like my nonextension himi that had dark rings at the base of his ears but with rew you do not have any colored hairs or eyes to see what else is carried. It stops all pigment in the body from coloring anything. Frosty/ermine is also sometimes called black eyed white because they can be nearly completely diluted to a white coat but not have true red eyes and BEW is another completely separate gene that also removes all other color except it only reduces the pigment in the eyes to result in blue instead of a true albino with red eyes.

Since breeds are by appearance it's possible someone is breeding perfectly nice cali rabbits that in the background have broken. If they assume some are just mismarked instead of realizing it's the broken gene then several generations later it ends up not being a cali if someone realizes and admits it's throwing broken. How many breeds are truly pure these days... I can't say much of anything I've gotten hasn't had an outcross mystery in the background and the color genes are often what gives it away. I even got told by a judge to show a ND with no dwarf genes as a polish because she would have met the type plenty well enough for the local competition.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I think Sable is right about the coloring being the grey tinge Californians can get as babies. I have seen this a lot in one of my does who never has her babies in the nesting box. They always get chilled before I can get them in a warm cozy box and this causes them to get a frosted coloring that they loose as adults. My Havana doe did not have this litter in her box and they were chilled before I was able to find them and get them in the box. The Havana must carry broken and that is why the one kit only got the frosted coloring in a broken pattern. My rabbits are all in very secure cages and never intermingle so in am 100% the Cali is the father. I will get some pics of it today and posted them. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:18 pm __________ <br /><br /> 20171230_140716_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20171230_140321_resized.jpg
    20171230_140321_resized.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 1,267
  • 20171230_140833_resized-1.jpg
    20171230_140833_resized-1.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 1,267
Back