Chicken and Dumplings.. + Rabbit. Noticeable?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheBrightside

Reaction score
Tomorrow my boyfriends family, along with mine, are coming over to have dinner while they are in for a visit from out of state. I LOVE his family, so I'm not trying to play a mean trick. I planned on making Chicken and Dumplings, but I only have a couple of thighs right now. If I was to mix in 1/2 rabbit, 1/2 chicken (it will be shredded) do you think they would notice?
They would NOT eat it if they knew. His dad will eat deer on occasion (they all ate it in veggie soup last year... but...) But his mom won't touch anything that doesn't come from the store.
I have more of the outlook of, my house, my food and I'm cooking so... eat it or don't. But like I said I love them all and want them to have a nice dinner.

I doubt they will notice. I made "chicken" noodle soups for my kids. I just make my normal soup using rabbit instead of chicken. I never actually called it chicken noodle. I also make a "chicken" and rice baked dish and again never actually called it "chicken". My oldest son ate both without comment. A week or so later he says "you know Mom, I still haven't eaten any rabbit." I just stared at him and blinked rapidly for a bit. "You know that "chicken" noodle soup you devoured? And the "chicken" and rice dish? Yep those were both rabbit." He never said another word about it lol. I didn't intentionally deceive him. He was there when I butchered the rabbits. It never crossed my mind he wouldn't put two and two together. I think he was 15 or 16 at the time.

Rabbit does have a slightly different texture that if someone is really observant they can pick up on but most people won't.

I figured as much.. I couldn't decided what I wanted to do. Haha. She "always knows when something is deer meat" although she didn't know and had seconds of the veggie soup. I just don't have any chickens I want to butcher right now and I have plenty of rabbit in the freezer.

I couldn't do it. If you know your guests view rabbits as pets and not meat animals as well, they might be as horrified as I would be if I found out someone had fed me domestic cat. I try to respect other people's feelings about food, even when they seem irrational and/or run counter to mine.

About 25 years ago, I prepared a beautiful Winter Solstice Feast for some special friends. I pulled out all the stops: I roasted a duck, a leg of lamb and a ham, plus all the side dishes and condiments, wild rice casserole with mushrooms, scalloped potatoes, sweet potatoes and so forth. Some of the women came into the kitchen to chat with me while I worked. I opened the oven to baste the lamb and duck and one of the guests said, "Uh, you do know that my husband and I are vegetarians, don't you?" I hadn't known! I don't know how I managed it, but I said, "Oh, no problem! There's plenty of other things." and hastily added a large package of frozen mixed vegetables to the menu. The party was saved, there was lots of great food for everyone, and no one was expected to eat something they did not consider appropriate.

Edited to add:
I've been thinking this over since I posted.

Your question was really would they be able to tell the difference, and I derailed it by getting into the ethics of the matter. My feelings are this: your boyfriend's family is likely to be in your life for quite some time. Would not telling them jeopardize your relationship with them? What does your boyfriend think?

I'd likely give his mom a call and ask. Or, if that was not so easy, I'd make a dish with those two chicken thighs that anyone uneasy about rabbit could eat if they pass on the rabbit and dumplings. Maybe just a chicken, rice and vegetable casserole. Easy and all in one pot. I think that even if they overcome their reservations about rabbit meat, they will admire your sensitivity to their feelings.

MaggieJ":38zm4735 said:
I'd likely give his mom a call and ask. Or, if that was not so easy, I'd make a dish with those two chicken thighs that anyone uneasy about rabbit could eat if they pass on the rabbit and dumplings. Maybe just a chicken, rice and vegetable casserole. Easy and all in one pot. I think that even if they overcome their reservations about rabbit meat, they will admire your sensitivity to their feelings.

My boyfriend thinks its silly they won't eat it. He will eat anything I make, really. I do see what you mean though and while I really feel they should just get over it LOL, I am going to make two separate pots. My family is coming as well and the majority will eat the rabbit, so we should be able to balance it out. The first time I came over to his house I brought BBQ and they about had a heart attack when they started making a sandwich and I told them it was rabbit. So for their sake I will leave it out.

I'm relieved to hear your decision. When I was young (back in the Dark Ages :lol: ) I had a few disagreements with my husband's parents and aunt about things I thought were just as silly. The resulting chill made family get-togethers difficult for a long, long time. I think you'll find your boyfriend's parents appreciate your thoughtfulness. And who knows? They may just decide to taste the rabbit and dumplings after all.

:good-luck:

Latest posts

Back