Early DQ detection in Netherland Dwarfs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpmorgens

Reaction score
I don't have much room in my rabbitry, and have to move unwanted kits out as soon as possible. I'm a newbie and have been told that there are some DQs that are obvious at an earlier time? I would love to know what DQs, if any, folks look for when a kit is only 4 weeks old. Thanks.

things you can check at that age
toenails & nail color (if you're raising shadeds & dilutes especially; all the nails should be the same color)
size (ones that are obviously larger than the littermates, with longer ears, are probably false dwarfs)
tail problems (wry tail, broken tail, etc)
tooth problems (although they can change with age, some have obvious problems at that age already; look for one where the top tooth is flat on the bottom, instead of pointed, like a chisel. that's the easiest way to tell on young ones that they might have simple malocclusion).
color DQs (like white spots. a few exceptions; such as light undercolor on dilutes or lack of shading on a shadded. that might go away. What color do you have? I could give you specifics then)

Thanks. I have a variety of kits... BEW, Black VM (would like to keep the ones good for breeding). there are some others (from Vienna... chestnut, etc.), and one ooops litter of BEW Jersey Woolies.. not keeping any of those.

I am hoping to improve my BEW line. you can see them at www.sherbornwoodsrabbitry. I have them all posted for sale even though I still want to pick 2 or 3.

There seems to be a nice black one.. heard they are good for making VM and then improving type on BEW, but the black one has a REW sibling... so I figure he could continue to pass on REW genes.

Latest posts

Back