Immaculate Conception

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanda74

Reaction score
New to board.
Hello everyone!
Anyone have information or thoughts on this?
Here goes.
Lion head Doe , 6 months old now.
Had a litter middle of October. Both died within one day.
Had second litter November 18th. Since she gave birth to this litter ( one month old) , she has not been out of her cage or has a buck been in her cage.
Came home yesterday to another litter , 5 babies!
How is this possible?
I have heard of hermaphrodite rabbits . I read about one doe, having 2 litters while being segregated from any other rabbits.
I am totally stunned and in awe.

Do you have a buck housed in a cage next to hers? Or one that has been on the loose near her cage? Rabbits have been known to breed through the wire if they are -uh- motivated.

Also, see if it's possible that anyone else may have put them together. It's not unknown for kids to "let them play together" not considering the outcome.

Bucks find newly delivered does quite irresistible. And does after kindling are often at their most receptive. If there is a way for them to get together, they will.

I do have 2 children... I guess it is possible they let him out.
He is housed above her ( not caged housing tho).
I asked both my kids about it. He is not that friendly, so I don't see them getting him back In.
I posted this because, I find it so slim that he got to her.
But I guess with bunnies.. any probability can mean everything in this case.
Thanks for your reply. <br /><br /> -- Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:44 pm -- <br /><br /> I also...immediately took the other litter out of the cage.
Would have liked to keep them with mama longer. They have been eating on their own for a week now. So all good!

I hate to say this, but someone putting them together is likely. Maybe consider some locks? Just to be sure.

As to the doe, three back to back litters is tough. I would add some rolled oats (think regular plain Quaker oats) and maybe some black oil sunflower seeds to her daily diet. Chances are she is in rough condition. Free feed her pellets as well.

I will definitely do that!!
She seems good.
I was concerned about her nest she built in the corner of her house. When I came home today... she emptied her litter box and built a "damn" like wall around the babies.
I cleaned all that out and put the babies in a nesting box.
She seemed pleased with it.
She is being a great mama so far ( last 24 hours)
I will certainly give her that diet!
I will also put a lock on my Mr. Bunz 's cage.
As soon as this litter is weaned, I will make sure she gets a break from motherhood.
Thanks so much for your reply!
I do feel so bad for her right now! I would have never intentionally had this pregnancy happen. <br /><br /> -- Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:32 pm -- <br /><br /> She is also loving bread right now. This is ok?

She is also loving bread right now. This is ok?

Bread is not very nutritious. A good whole-grain bread as an occasional treat is not harmful, in my opinion, but don't overdo it. I used to cut a slice into quarters and then cut the quarters into quarters, and then let them air-dry until crisp. Think "bunny croutons". They were a very popular treat with my rabbits, but not something they got regularly. Something like that is a good treat to give as a distraction when you want to check on the kits.

Ok. Got it.
I just gave her the Quaker oats. She is loving them!
She is a bunny that will rip a cracker out of my mouth!
( before her last litter , when I let her roam around the house).
I will get the sunflower tomorrow.
I will keep the bread as a treat from now on.
I usually give all of them pellets and hey in the morning Pellets and a little chunk of Dutch bread at dinner time.
I will do it every couple days now and smaller amount. <br /><br /> -- Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:24 pm -- <br /><br /> I just want her to be happy and take care of the babies.
My heart would break if they died!

Naturally you want the best for them and it's good you are asking questions so you know how to keep them happy and healthy. It sounds to me like you have a good little momma there. She has already raised one litter successfully, and will likely do just as well this time around.

Thankyou very much!!
The help of putting things in perspective is such an immense feeling of help!
I will get a lock tomorrow for my Mr. And sunflower.
If I post again about this in a month?... lol... I have a situation
I care so much about them all! I want to help them as much a human can.
Very happy to have joined this board and very thankful for the support from strangers.
Merry Christmas!! Thankyou!!

We hope you stick around. You will do fine. Just keep asking questions when you need to.

Do us a favor please. Edit your profile adding some idea of your location. Sometimes suggestions can vary depending on location and weather type conditions.

On it right now.
I tried to add an avatar already. But from my phone the file's are to large <br /><br /> -- Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:53 pm -- <br /><br /> Location added!

Latest posts

Back