It's been a snotty morning

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
Well as the title says I had the dreaded white snot blown at me by one if my last purebred kit. Great. I called her on site, but my main concern is how much could it have spread? She was still housed with her mother so I'm pretty sure she has it now, but I also just did pictures yesterday and used the same background blanket for pretty much all my rabbits. I was already super upset because my NEW fridge is on the fritz, but am I likely to have to Cull my whole herd and start from scratch!?! Also can the meat be trusted or an I just going to have a good number of pelts? I'd rather not waste anything if I don't have to

Oh, no, TeaTime! That is such rotten luck, especially with the photo-shoot being yesterday. But don't panic. Lots of rabbits have strong enough immune systems to resist illness even when exposed. Especially short-term, second-hand exposure.

Watch them all carefully and segregate any that show the slightest symptom. Cull if the symptoms develop to the point of the dreaded white snot. You acted promptly with the rabbit who did have it, so you may have stopped it in time. You did the absolute best thing, in my books, not to hesitate or procrastinate on terminally culling the sick rabbit.

The meat from rabbits with pasteurella is safe, since you are cooking it. I wouldn't feed it raw to dogs or cats, however.

Hang in there and keep us updated. It's horrible start to your day, but with a little luck it doesn't have to be disastrous. :good-luck:

Thanks MaggieJ. I am going to let my only buyer left after all my bad luck, know that I'm going to hold his girls for a while to make sure they didn't get it too, and wait on our stud agreement that is part of their payment. They are my middle school friend's patents so I know they will understand, and if they did in fact catch it I will figure out what to do from there <br /><br /> -- Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:19 pm -- <br /><br /> Well so far so good. No one else has even started to sneeze. Still extremely nervous about the kit's mother, but she hasn't changed either

"So far, so good" is encouraging and it's the best you can hope for at this point. Quarantine is generally for a month, so I would suggest to keep everybunny under observation for another few weeks.

I plan to. No bunny is going in or out of my rabbitry until mid January at the earliest, and my buyers have already either accepted that or ended their purchase to wait for litters born after my rabbitry lockdown <br /><br /> -- Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:46 am -- <br /><br /> Everyone is still doing good. There are still 2 weeks left to my decided quarentein, but no one has changed. Though I have 2 newcomers they are out and away from the Rabbitry, and are also under their own extremely strict quarantine, until the 2nd week of February, that consists of clothing changes before and after their handling to make sure no one spreads anything

Latest posts

Back