Is This Buck Too Big?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NY Rabbits

Reaction score
New member and this is my first post. I hope to be a regular participant. I am just getting into rabbits for meat.

I have two Crème D'Argent does that weigh in between 8 and 9 pounds. My buck is an Altex, I think mixed with NZ, weighing in at 10-11 pounds. My first litter with this pairing was just born dead at 34 days and the kits seem rather large, 4-5 inches long. They were also born grey and I don't know if this is normal for this breed. Just wondering if this buck might be too big to breed to these does or if the 34 days caused them to be oversized. The second doe is due in three days so I am hoping for a better outcome. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi NY Rabbits . . . Glad to have your with us. :hi:

I don't think a 2-3 lb. difference should be a problem in meat rabbits. In some of the dwarf breeds it might matter more. My guess as to what happened with the first litter is that one got stuck and the others suffocated as a result. If the does was a first-timer and the kits larger because they were overdue, that is quite possible, but I don't think there is any reason to expect it to happen with the second doe.

:good-luck:

Welcome NYRabbits!

I agree with Maggie (as usual). As to the kit color, if your buck is white, it might be hiding some other colors in it's lineage.

Good luck with the other litter. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback. I just put the nest box in for the second doe and she hopped right in and started making a depression. There will be someone here on day 30 to keep an eye on her so hopefully all goes well.

__________ Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:09 pm __________

Doe number 2 kindled sometime this afternoon, day 32. It is cold out tonight so I did not want to disturb the nest too much but I was able to see 2 live kits and movement of some others under the straw. I will get a complete count in the morning. These kits are also grey and are less than half the size of the litter her sister produced. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:30 am __________ <br /><br /> Counted 9 kits, looks like all are doing well. Is this too many for a first time mom? Should I remove some? If so, how many?

Nine is a nice-sized litter and the doe should be able to raise them all. As long as they are being fed, a larger litter is better in winter . . . They keep each other warm. The fact that the doe is a first-timer should not matter at all.

I do suggest that you check the nest box regularly, make sure none have died and that they are getting fed. But that is routine care.

Many breeders schedule their does so that two or three kindle at the same time. That way the opportunities for fostering are greater. For instance, it one doe had only three or four kits and another had ten or twelve, evening up the litters would make sense.

Thanks.Maggiej,
I bred them a week apart with that in mind but the first one did not work out. I will be getting another doe or two so I will have a bit more flexibility.

Back