HELP Doe Still Not Kindling!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raerae1000

Reaction score
My miniature lop doe is on her 32 day of pregnancy, yesterday she delivered one kit (which died) but hasn't delivered anymore. I can feel kicks from at least one maybe two kits still inside, though I am concerned to why she hasn't had them yet. She is eating and drinking great, no problems in the toiletry department, she doesn't seem to be stressed or acting out of the norm and she was pretty active earlier. I haven't seen her contracting or trying to push. Around 6-7 hours after finding the dead kit, she started ripping out extra fur for her nest. I have given her 1-2 hours of roaming time, kale, parsley and plenty of hay. That's all the information I can think of.
I can't contact my vet at this current moment of time so any help is greatly appreciated!

It doesn't sound like she is in distress, thank goodness. Sometimes, if for some reason, the doe is interrupted or startled during kindling, she will put things on hold, even into the next day.

Is she a first timer? How many kits does a mini lop generally have?

What I would suggest is to give her a calcium boost. A favourite way to do this is to feed her a TUMS antacid tablet. It can be a generic brand, of course, but it must be calcium based. The fruit flavours tend to be more popular with rabbits, but any will do.

Good luck with her. Hope to hear in the morning that she has successfully finished kindling and all is well. :good-luck:

This is her second litter, she lost all of the first litter because she had them scattered around her hutch and froze to death (I didn't get to them in time), Each litter my Buns have had have either been 4 or 5 with a casualty.
If she doesn't have them tonight I'll definatly get her some calcium tablets x

Thank you for your help, it is a relief that its not a very uncommon case in rabbits. I'll Keep You Updated :D

It's actually not unheard of for a doe to go to day 40. It's not a hard and fast rule that they MUST birth on day 31.

Back