Doe not interested in breeding!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FluffyBuns

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1 year old english angora doe, she has had one litter before I had her. When I place her in a buck's cage she hides and whines EVERY SINGLE TIME! She never appears to lift for him, although he still goes at it multiple times. I have done this with her numerous times, even when her vent looked dark pink "ready to be bred." I don't have this trouble with my other 1 year old EA, as when she is ready she mounts the bucks and then boom they get it done. I have tried apple cider vinegar to get her and him in the mood but doesn't seem to work really. Any ideas to help get her going? Also, could the buck have been successful in his attempts without the lift and fall off? After I remove her from the cage her vent area does appear kind of glossy but I'm not sure what is just normal glossy or sperm from male glossy. Thanks! :bunnyhop:

Things that work for me when I have someone being stubborn is a ground pen (some times the change of scenery gets them excited), and swapping their hutches for the night so she is surrounded by his smell. I have also been suggested to try putting them in carriers next to each other and driving around for about 20-30 minutes. Can't garantee these will work, but they are at least a start I suppose. Maybe someone else can give you more suggestions too

Oliverrabbit, looks like your post submitted before you finished?? <br /><br /> -- Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:55 pm -- <br /><br /> TeaTimeBunnies, I think I'm going to try taking her for a ride in the car today when I go pick up my son from school lol. Next I will try the neutral ground pen idea! :)

I have several methods.
I have a doe who's an awful breeder but when housed in a cage adjacent to the buck's(with a plastic partition to prevent the supposed "breeding through the wire") I bred her with she had 5 fall offs, her usual is 1, and that's a struggle.

I usually give my does an item that belongs to the buck in her cage for a couple days before breeding. If she can't be housed adjacently than try putting her in a pen close to the buck's cage for a couple hours prior.

Feeding spinach once a day for a week before may also help as it provides vitamin A, a lack of which may cause unwillingness to breed.

You could also try breeding them in a neutral area, like an unoccupied cage or an exercise pen.

Some does also dislike overcast, windy or cold weather. They also prefer to breed in the early morning or late evening(just before sunset).

If all else fails, maybe try a different buck. My does seem to prefer different bucks, funnily enough. Or you could table breed, but I don't recommend that as it seems cruel and it's not often successful.

A method i use to great effect. Is to take the doe, put her back end up to the bucks cage. Let him get a good sniff. Then with the doe facing you, stick her in the cage. You holding her, put one hand under her and lift her up so your buck can get a straight shot at her. This method works and works well.

UFCreel I'm gonna give this a try a few more times, I've tried holding her still in his cage and lifting up her bum and he'd mount but no fall offs so I'm not sure if it was successful. Have you had them bred successfully this way with no fall offs?

-- Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:15 pm --

I tried the neutral pen and car ride, neither worked :( <br /><br /> -- Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:17 pm -- <br /><br /> I forgot to get spinach today, I will have to try that too. Any thoughts on the black oil sunflower seeds (in moderation) helping with willingness to breed?

Have you tried swapping pens for a night or two? I understand how frustrated you are. I had a doe refuse to breed for 2 full months before getting a successful breeding that ended up miscarrying, but with patience I did get a successful litter of 6. Giving them a break from breeding attempts might help too. She may just not be emotionally ready right now so trying again a later day might work. Patience is key too

No to being successful with no fall offs. Has your buck been used before? Maybe he is inexperienced? If that is the case use a proven buck. But most of all keep at it.

Back