Stuck on Breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avalencia

Reaction score
My friend and I are rescuing a rabbit and we're stuck on the breed. He sent me a photo but I stuck at identifying rabbits :cry:
If anyone can help???

Attachments

• photo0.jpg
    photo0.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 718
It's definitely a mixed breed

What breeds is it a mix of? In rabbit it's hard to tell, almost all the breeds were made in the last 100 hundred and are all pretty genetically similar, so defining features all disappear after one or two generations and mix breed rabbits have a tendency to look rather similar.

If that fur around its head actually is longer than the rest and stays like that (I cant tell from picture, looks longer on top of head), it probably has some Lionhead in it.
That head is rather large, those ears are rather heavy-tipped and not too large, and the fur is rollback, all are traits which are found in Netherland Dwarfs and Holland Lops. I'd guess a mix of one of those two breeds. Also Thrianta and a few others, but those are a rather rare breed so unlikely to be in this rabbit's ancestry.
The chestnut color combined with the heavy tipped ears is common in Mini Lop, so you might want to look into that too (but the chestnut color can come from almost any cross-although less likely from holland lop x lionhead because both of those tend to be more common in tortoise than other colors and tortoise is recessive, although you see almost any color in pet lines)

Back