Gooey eye: Final update

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So today my fiance and I melted and brought home a new mini rex doeling. She looks to be a runt since she was half the size of her litter mates, and, as the title says, she has a gooey eye. I was told she got kicked in the eye by a litter mates and the gooing started today. I cleaned her eye up with a warm washcloth and I found where she got kicked. It seems to have permanently blinded that eye as the wound is directly over her pupil. Any tips on how to help her infection go away? So far I'm just keeping it clean and getting rid of any puss I see as soon as I see it. I don't have pictures as I am the only one here and is takes two hands to work with her

keep flushing the eye with saline solution, and keeping it free of any crust. you can buy clindamycin eye drops at tractor supply or other feed stores i think (brand name veterycin,) and on amazon as well. put a couple drops in her eye a couple times a day and it should clear up in a few days. hopefully it's just superficial and it won't become a continuous issue. good luck with her

Thanks shazza. I don't currently have any of that with me now, but I do have plain eye drops from the dollar store, do you think that could help her for tonight?

Yep, that's what I got. Thanks shazza <br /><br /> -- Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:08 pm -- <br /><br /> So here are pictures for the "pictures or it didn't happen" rule. Her eye was recently cleaned, and I think it stings because she tends to keep it closed. She will open her eye, but prefers not to after a fresh cleaning. Also, is she a chocolate/Orange? She looks Chocolate/Orange to me

Attachments

• IMG_20171201_170358.jpg
    IMG_20171201_170358.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 2,089
  • IMG_20171201_170324.jpg
    IMG_20171201_170324.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 2,089
  • IMG_20171201_170423.jpg
    IMG_20171201_170423.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 2,089
  • IMG_20171201_170258.jpg
    IMG_20171201_170258.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 2,089
The picture second from the last shows her true colors. It was a poor day for pictures since there were some REALLY dark storm clouds coming in

As an update so far, her eye is still gooey, but not as bad as it was before. She has also grown a little bit, and is definitely feeling better. She loves outside expeditions (until she gets cold :lol: ), her favorite toy so far is her pink jingle ball, she loves kisses and grooming us (she now makes me "pay" for my grooming with kisses, she'll lick me a few times and then stop and look at me like "come on. Where are my kisses? I will NOT give you attention until I get my kisses! You know I won't!!"), She has explored the house a little, and she is does binkies like there is no tomorrow, doesn't matter where she is or what we are doing

The only thing I use anymore is Terramycin. It's a cream you pit a dab on your finger twice a day and put it in the corner of their eye. It seems to last/work/stay longer for me..

Just my
my-two-cents-worth.jpg
worth.

So as it turns out things were MUCH worse than we thought, and we found out too late to be able to change anything. Though she seemed to have been doing well her health took a rather sudden turn for the worst. The infection was deep rooted all the way through the eye and eventually even broke into her nasal canal. Found that out two days ago when I saw the goo coming out of her right nostril and not just her right eye. She had felt cold, but I had assumed that was from the cool temperatures of our room since we don't have central heat and air. By yesterday she had lost all of her body conditioning and was super weak. She didn't make it through the night.

I'm having such a hard and heartbreaking time with my young rabbits right now. I have lost 8 kits to several different things within the past few weeks. I had one inhale water, one find an escape route and I didn't find him the second time he got out, two to mysterious spinal injuries, three to an unknown source, and this one to infection. Between all this loss and the stress from my finals I am having an extremely hard time right now. At least the puppy in the house makes it hard to stay upset too long

Thanks MaggieJ. Luckily my last and easiest exam is 7am tomorrow. The hardest part about it will be trying to stay awake long enough to get through it. With my morning routine I'll be having to get up at 5 am to get to it on time, and I won't get a chance to get any caffeine in that time either :lol:

I'm sorry for the loss, TeaTime, hopefully the good will balance the bad again soon. :encourage:

Wishing you all the best for that last exam!
:gold-star:

I'm sorry TeatTime, I know it's hard right now but it should get better soon. Tell yourself at least they're not suffering and you can focus on other things. Weither that's exams, the puppy, your healthy rabbits or any other passtime you can think of.

Back