Figuring out new genetics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerriG

Reaction score
You guys were so helpful when we first started out (back in 2012!) We had our genetics all figured out. Then we had some strays show up (true rabbit math! They showed up in my yard). After quarantine, they were added to our stock. We now have some interesting things showing up that I am trying to learn about.

We've entered the broken colors world. That's been fun. Even added some tri-colors in.

Today I noticed the iris on a 5 week old kit aren't a solid color! She appears to be a harlequin dutch? Her iris is a lighter color from the 6-9 (like a clock) part.

Gaaaah! I can't remember how to add pics, or if I even can from my phone.

the vienna gene can cause that, and since you said she's a dutch harlequin, it's likely that gene is at play. It's not super common for a rabbit to have heterochromia, but it sure is beautiful!

Sounds like you've got the vienna gene (which is causing both the eye coloring like that and the dutch like markings)

One of my Vienna Marked does, which is vienna gene expressed as dutch markings and white snips or stripes on the face, also has the eye color, half grey half blue. I should snap a picture too. It's pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back