Abscess behind eye, 1st surgery did not get it all

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chringram

Reaction score
My baby girl is going back for another abscess draing on Friday. Where the first abscess was under her eye and pushing it out, that was removed and drained on 11/14 and it doesn't seem to have returned, but now more swelling all around top of her eye. See photo.

The good thing is vet confirmed there is no eye damage. I told the doc this time she needs to put some antibiotics inside the incision after she drains. She agreed. Not sure why that wasn't done the first time?! Fingers crossed.

Heard from another breeder that the abscess has to be cleaned daily, but not sure if that means leaving wound open?!

Attachments

• image001-1.png
    image001-1.png
    126 KB · Views: 1,230
for daily draining the wound needs at least an opening for a drain hole. Then it would involve flushing out the wound using a saline solution and distilled water. Your vet will probably tell you the details if she judges you need to do it.

As for antibiotics in the wound, rabbits are very sensitive to most antibiotics and dont react too well to em. So my guess is they didnt use any (maybe they injected a dose but didnt send it IN the wound) to try and minimise risks in the hope the rabbit would heal the rest by earself once its been cleaned. Obviously that didnt happen so the next step will logically involve antibiotics to maximise permanent healing even if it is a bit riskier because at this point the more recurence of the issue the less chance of curing it without permanent damage.

Little girl is doing much better! See from the photo pre and post-surgery. The vet did leave the wound open, and for the first four or five days there was a antibiotic drenched swab that was left in the wound. After that was removed its daily rinsing with sterile solution, along with an anti-inflammatory that she gets orally, and some probiotic orally. also under vets Direction I put a little bit of penicillin right inside the open wound everyday.
Almost a week and a half after the surgery, there is still a little bit of pus that comes out every day. I do have concern that the injury is behind the eye and we'll have to continue this process for a little while longer.
It seems to be working!

Attachments

• 20171221_114839.jpg
    20171221_114839.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 1,183
I wonder if a tooth root is sticking her in the eye and causing the infection.

Back