New Broken Red New Zealand Buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UFCreel

Reaction score
Well i picked him up from a show home several months ago. He is not show able due to broken tail. He won a couple shows and then a judge found his broken tail. Although his sisters and parents have done really well at all the shows. He has been in quarantine since. Well yesterday i decided it was time to pair him up with one of my Red New Zealand does. He is 8 months, the doe is 3 years. She comes out of some top show rabbits also. I don't show. Just raise them for meat. At ten or eleven weeks the kits are always at 5 lbs plus. He is sweet once you get hands on with him. But other wise always just sits in the back of the cage hunched up if you are looking at him. So i took my doe and stuck her back end against his cage. He came right over for a good sniff. Opened the door set her in and it was on. He did his job in record time. He even was cool with getting his head scratched for about a minute. Then back to the back of the cage. No coaxing would bring him for more head scratches. My doe has always had 8 kits, with every litter she has ever had. So will be keeping a good eye on her. Nest box goes in on November 28.

Excellent !

It's always refreshing when a plan goes as expectedvand wishing that your luck countinues and your get a litter in 30 days or so :)

Thank You. My other Red New Zealand buck does not mess around ether. I have found it good to let them sniff through the cage a bit. Put them in and let nature take its coarse. But after a couple of minutes. If it is not happening i bring the doe out and let the buck get a good sniff again. I then Stick the does back end in first hold her head and put my hand under her to lift her up. I have found this works extremely well.

Well sad day here. Yesterday the doe was spraying blood. Not Good. Figured she was having problems. It is day 32. Kept an eye on her. Went out last time at 3:00 am this morning no more blood and no kits. Got up around 6:00 am to find she had pulled hair. Checked in the nest box. 3 very large dead kits. Took them away but left nest box just in case she is not done. But suspect she is. She has always had 8 kits before. So not sure what went on. She is 3 years old. Guess i will let recuperate. Then breed her again in a couple of months and see whats up. She is eating and drinking so that is good. Was really looking forward to this litter.

Thank you for the update, just wish it was better news :( but hopefully your doe makes a full recovery
:pinkbunny: :bunnyhop: :bunny5: :rabbit-hop1: :lilbunny: :rabbit-hop2: :pinkbunny:

My broken red doe had five very large dead kits a few weeks back and I think the size of those kits is what got themselves stuck during delivery, and died. It was Mossy's first litter, but with the size of those kits, I'm not really holding it against her. I fed her well for a week and re-bred her to a different buck, so we'll see if the giant kit is a genetic issue or a one-off. Good luck on your Reds!!

Latest posts

Back