Blue New Zealands

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHoward

Reaction score
I have a pair of broken blacks that will produce broken black, solid black, broken blue, and solid blue - all in the same litter. I know that ARBA recognizes Blue now, but my question is:

Can I call them blue if they came from broken black parents?

It feels misleading if I do that. Wouldn't the blue need to be repeatable for many generations before and after?

If they are blue in color they are blue. If you are worried about people thinking they have all blue pedigrees just mention they are out of blacks. Blue is dilute black, and so many breeds have black in blue pedigrees and blue in black pedigrees. It is extremely common. In rabbits the color they appear is the color you call them. If you want to get specific with genetics then you worry about their backgrounds. Hope this helps, and welcome to Rabbit Talk! :bunnyhop:

Yeah, you can call them blue; blue is blue. Blue is recessive; so even if its out of black parents it will breed true as blue (blues are only one gene away from blacks; and can't carry black). NZ breeders often cross blacks into blue lines, anyway, to improve type, so it's pretty common to see blues with black in the pedigree.

Yup, call them blue NZ

Only the Flemmish Giant breed club has the ridiculous rules about colour crossing :explanation: and how any unexpected or off colours produced cannot even be called "Flemmish Giants" even if both parents are purebred and/or pedigreed FG :evil:

Latest posts

Back