what breed is this?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstriver

Reaction score
Does anyone know what breed my rabbit might be? I am not sure if he is a harlequin, as he doesn’t have any orange colour, and most magpie harlequins from what I understand are mostly white. I thought maybe he is tortoiseshell, but I’m not sure. What do you think?
IMG_1954.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1942.JPG
IMG_1921.JPG

well, breed and colour are two different things (though harlequin is a breed AND a colour...confusing!)

your little guy looks like a lionhead mutt to me, seeing as he's got lovely mutton chops and some cool hair up top. as for his markings, he's definitely a harlequin, but i feel like there may be some sable or something else in there that's messing with the intensity of his colour, but i'm not really an expert on colour genetics.

shazza":275122bo said:
well, breed and colour are two different things (though harlequin is a breed AND a colour...confusing!)

your little guy looks like a lionhead mutt to me, seeing as he's got lovely mutton chops and some cool hair up top. as for his markings, he's definitely a harlequin, but i feel like there may be some sable or something else in there that's messing with the intensity of his colour, but i'm not really an expert on colour genetics.

LOL his mutton chops are so small like he’s tried to grow a beard and can’t!
I think he is definitely a harlequin mutt especially as he’s French. From what I read they are a French invention. Or is he a broken harlequin or a tricolour? I’m not sure what exactly makes one a broken harlequin.

Do you think he will become 8 pounds like they say? He’s only 5-6 months and still a bit small.

I don't think he'll get any bigger than this.

He looks like a lionhead cross to me (magpie colored)

I don't think he's a harlequin cross -
Harlequins are a rather uncommon. Especially for pet lines; because of their large size they are mostly raised for fancy and meat. They are gaining some popularity in the US due to meat breeding, but that same trend doesn't apply to some countries in which rabbit meat is not as popular. I'm not very well versed in rabbit meat breeding in france, so I can't say much there; but in britain they dont raise many uncommon breeds like this for meat.
The 'japanese gene' that makes this color is common in quite a few breeds; by far more there's more rabbits of 'harlequin' color than there are harlequins. That color has been bred into practically everything because people think it looks cool.

Tricolor is just what they call broken harlequin. With japanese; it's easy to tell its broken because it will have white spots along with its orange and black. With magpies, the broken gene will just turn the black stripes & brindling into solid black spots, that makes it look sort of dalmation-ish

Sorry, I'm not trying to sound rude, my mind's a bit frazzled from final's week in my college (and I wasn't the best at speaking even before that) But I used to raise harlequins; gorgeous little rabbits, they're my second favorite breed.

Back