Oh boy...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maleficent

Reaction score
So, this thanksgiving I took some baby bunnies with me to the dinner, only after confirming with the hostess that it was fine. They are old enough to be away from mom for an hour or two and could use the socialization from strangers.

While there one of my cousins with a young daughter (think 3) fell in love with the smallest baby and said she wants that one for her daughter when they are old enough. I had to keep telling her that, no, I will not promise you that one as the person who owns their dad gets first pic and she might want that one. Plus I'm a little hesitant because her daughter kept trying to hit them.

I got to talking with a friend and she suggested something like loaning out one of my older rabbits to see if it is something they want to actually take care of. I liked this idea a lot. I just need to figure out what stipulations need to be put in place that would he fair to both parties. Especially since I don't have a spare cage to loan out with this rabbit.

That is why I turned to you guys to get your ideas and feelings on this. As well as what you feel would be fair rules for this little experiment.

I wouldnt lend a bunny, since no bunny is the same from one to the next. So even if you lend them one theres no garantee it would be a good representation of getting the baby one. Along with any changes beingva life threat to a rabbit's health, you'd be risking your older bunnie's life.

It's best to tell them what they need:
- a big enough cage to house the rabbit and all its accessories comfortably
- litter box
- recycled paper litter material
- hay
- pellets
- heavy glass water bowl
- either a heavyglass bowl or a feeder for the pellets

explain to em what caring for it would mean:
- litter training
- free roam play time
- health risks (parasites, wounds, etc)
- death risks when they take it in at first if they dont transition slowly enough from your food to theirs
- if they might want more then 1 in the future, spaying or having two girls. No boys cause wars or millions of babies
- and anything else you feel pertinent to add (like : I noticed your girl kept trying to hit them and thats not good)

Often times, especially the health risks, they'll back off just from the sizable list of information and things to buy if they're not ready to comit. And if they are rdy and get everything? well they get a baby bunny when its ready to leave, no sooner and they get their pick after your friend no negociation. They wouldnt like it if you promised them one and then let someone else who came third in line have it would they? Same goes for your friend, they are second in line, they get second pick, they might get lucky and your friend will pick a different one anyways.

This is a situation that, in my opinion, has a good chance of coming back to bite you.

While there one of my cousins with a young daughter (think 3) fell in love with the smallest baby and said she wants that one for her daughter when they are old enough. I had to keep telling her that, no, I will not promise you that one as the person who owns their dad gets first pic and she might want that one. Plus I'm a little hesitant because her daughter kept trying to hit them.

A rabbit is not a suitable pet for a 3 year old. Hard on the bunny, hard on the child. Rabbits are comparatively fragile -- a fall or overenthusiastic cuddling can break bones, especially the spine. Rabbits, even the best of them, scratch (often unintentionally) and some of them bite. Most are too large for a young child to safely pick up.

Pet rats are an excellent first pet for a child, but even so I would not recommend them for a child of three--especially one that hits. Pets help develop a child's empathy, but the child needs to be already sensitive to the needs and feelings of other people and creatures before being trusted with a helpless animal as a pet.

I understand why you think a rabbit on loan might teach them something, but I have a feeling that the lesson would come at the expense of the rabbit.

which was why I was kind of considering one of my Dutch who are on the bigger side but still small enough that it won't overwhelm a small child. but as I said I think my cousin only wants them because they are in that cute irresistible phase for the Netherlands they are only about a day older than 4 weeks at this point so they are very irresistible and fluffy. and I think that is the only reason she wants it is because it is cute, and I'm even hesitant to do the loan thing but I was thinking maybe do the loan thing first so she can see exactly how much work they can be. after you've taken care of them for a while though and you've had a large number of them it doesn't feel as overwhelming because you're used to the amount of work and it just feels normal. I remember when I got my first rabbit again after almost 20 years since the last time I had one it was kind of a lot of work and I felt a little overwhelmed but after I've had her and I got to know her personality and her quirks I love her regardless at this point.

but I remember when I got my first rabbit again after 20 years, I had done a lot of research since that first rabbit which was an Easter gift and even then it was a lot of work until I got to know how to take care of rabbits and I got used to the amount of work. basically what I'm trying to say is that I agree with your statement of a rabbit not being appropriate for a three-year-old unless they were raised around them from a very very young age.

Latest posts

Back