Register

Big news!

Off-topic Discussions, Member News, Funny Stories and Jokes.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 365.00

Re: Big news!

Post Number:#31  Unread postby MeadowView » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Imgur works and store/displays images indefinitely. You don't even have to have an account to upload photos!

In the mean time, you can right click > open image in new tab to see photos on photobucket.

It looks really nice! As for where to put the rabbits, I'm not too sure whether I have any advice, but I do like the barn idea the best, just for the fact that outdoor rabbits have never worked well for me, but I may just be projecting. :lol:

The following user would like to thank MeadowView for this post
Nymphadora

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,160.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby Nymphadora » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:06 pm

MeadowView wrote:As for where to put the rabbits, I'm not too sure whether I have any advice, but I do like the barn idea the best, just for the fact that outdoor rabbits have never worked well for me, but I may just be projecting. :lol:

Any advice is helpful in my book... I'll just know to take yours with a bit of salt! :dinner:

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,917.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby alforddm » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:31 pm

You may want to consider having the concrete sealed if it's not already. Concrete is rather porous and the pee will soak in. The house and shop look great though! Congratulations!

The following user would like to thank alforddm for this post
Nymphadora

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 21,182.00

Post Number:#34  Unread postby Marinea » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Just a thought about option 2- if there are windows to your bedroom there, you might want to think about summer smells. I would probably go with option three, especially if I could slowly ease into the heavy noises.

Beautiful place you have. Congrats!
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

United States of America

Post Number:#35  Unread postby Nymphadora » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:31 am

Marinea wrote:Just a thought about option 2- if there are windows to your bedroom there, you might want to think about summer smells.

The window is actually to the craft room, but it's a good point to make... especially since 3/4 of the year feels like summer around here. :oops:

Marinea wrote:I would probably go with option three, especially if I could slowly ease into the heavy noises.

Other than a few big projects initially (building the workshop up, to begin with) I don't anticipate us creating a constant ruckus in that barn... :lol:

__________ Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:31 am __________

Woohoo! More good news!

We finished painting the hallways/kitchen/dining area this weekend with a little help from my family, and got all those painting tarps off the floor! It finally feels less like a construction zone in our home. :D

DH changed (almost) all the switches and outlets in the house so they look bright white rather than beige, and we did a little tinkering in the barn (more on that later).

And Saturday, lo and behold, I woke up to the most beautiful sound...
DH: "You know, I think we'll be ready to have rabbits here by next week."
:P :in_love: :happy2:

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!! It's finally happening guys, I can't even tell you how exciting it is to have a date (of course, my friends may not have the rabbits ready for another 2 weeks, but hey, I can get the cages and feed and supplies ready). DH also conceded that it may be best to have the rabbits in the steel barn, at least for now. So I've gotta clear the stack of 2x4's out of the way this week, since they've been stored at the far end of the barn where the rabbits will soon be living. :D

And I've gotta come up with a name for our little operation! (Naming things gives me anxiety, so I've been putting this off because I'm just awful at coming up with ideas). I'd like something I can use for our whole urban homestead, so I don't want to pigeon-hole myself by referring to rabbits or the breed I'm focusing on... and that's why it's taking me forever. :roll:

So, that's the update from this weekend... more progress, and finally getting to a place where we are comfortable with how the house looks on the inside. I hated the beige tones that were in here before, and I'm loving the grey, blue, and green with white trim. I'll be doing some thorough cleaning after work all this week, because we've been walking across the tiles with our shoes on more often than not (once the house is properly clean, there'll be no more of that). We're getting so close now!

Oh, I promised to tell more of the tinkering, too... well, we whipped this up last night:

Anyone have a guess as to what it may be? (We finished it later in the evening, and I have a photo, I just want to see if anyone will guess). :D

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,805.00

Post Number:#36  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Roller compost bin!?
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

United States of America

Post Number:#37  Unread postby Nymphadora » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:42 am

Yes! We've already added some "browns", and I'll start adding "greens" from kitchen scraps this week. By springtime we should be ready with some nice rich dirt to give the plants. :D

Here's what it looked like when we finished it last night:

I've set it up next to the barn close to the kitchen door. I'm all for efficiency! :P

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,805.00

Post Number:#38  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:19 am

looks great!!
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

The following user would like to thank SarniaTricia for this post
Nymphadora

United States of America

Post Number:#39  Unread postby Nymphadora » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:47 pm

Alright, we've got the next project to be unveiled from the Home Renovation series. ;)

We built a table this weekend in anticipation of Thanksgiving! The dining room table we had was just a bit small to accommodate our entire family, in-laws and all. There were a few wrenches thrown in the plan that we hadn’t really been expecting (like DH’s SUV breaking down… badly), but we made it through the project and the weekend without too much trouble, otherwise.

So, what do you need to build a table? Well, preferably a truck or large vehicle to transport the lumber home. But, as I mentioned, DH’s broke down last week. The whole engine gave up. (We are now looking for a truck to replace the SUV, since we had that in mind already… just not for another 6 months or so). In case of large-vehicle-loss, make do with a little determination and creativity. My little car became our hauling vehicle, with the wood strapped down over the roof with some towels to prevent scratching the crap out of my car. We realized after we strapped everything down that we had… umm… racheted the doors shut? Well, we couldn’t open them anymore, in any case, so we climbed through the front windows to get back into the car. The guys in the lot must have laughed their butts off when we left. :lol: :oops:

The top of the table came together easier than expected with the help of a Kreg Jig and some wood glue… please keep in mind we have very limited furniture-building experience, and our methods would probably make most reputable wood-workers cringe. But we also can't afford to buy a ton of new tools right now (like a biscuit-joiner), especially since we have to buy a new car. Then again, this table cost us (once the wood, stain, and finish are added together) just under $250 for a table that will easily seat 10-12 and is sturdy as a bull. If it doesn’t last 20 years, I think I’ll be alright.

The base is out of 4x4’s which gives us the benefit of looking nice and solid and feeling… well, solid. Honestly, I think I could load this table up with two Thanksgiving dinners and it wouldn’t break a sweat (if tables could sweat?). It’s nice knowing that when we have kids they won’t be able to tip this thing if they tried, though. Found that out the hard way when I darn-near broke my fingers under it trying to set it on its side (fully assembled) and pinched my fingers underneath. :x

So, here is the (almost) finished product, missing a few more coats of polyurethane but stained and looking good:

Hope this was a fun update on what we’ve been up to! :)

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,088.00

Post Number:#40  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:59 pm

What a super table! I just love solid, honest country furniture! Well done! :goodjob:

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Nymphadora

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 562.00

Post Number:#41  Unread postby Shea » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:18 pm

That is a beautifull looking piece! Those Kreg Jigs open a Lot of doors for the everyday person. Did you angle the table legs or is that just the picture?

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,917.00

Post Number:#42  Unread postby alforddm » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:54 pm

I think I'm going to show this one to hubby (and may steal it). Seems like a fairly simple but really nice table. Thanks for sharing!

United States of America

Post Number:#43  Unread postby Nymphadora » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:22 pm

Shea wrote:That is a beautifull looking piece! Those Kreg Jigs open a Lot of doors for the everyday person. Did you angle the table legs or is that just the picture?

Thank you! Yes, I am loving that little Kreg Jig... a worthwhile investment, in my opinion. The table legs aren't angled out from the table top lengthwise, but that base does widen a bit towards the bottom. Hence why it may look a bit more angled in the photo.

alforddm wrote:I think I'm going to show this one to hubby (and may steal it). Seems like a fairly simple but really nice table. Thanks for sharing!

By all means, it was a joy to put together (minus the pinching of fingers, of course)! This was our first big build project (that had to look pretty), and I’m pretty impressed with the results.

The original plans for the table are on Ana White’s blog (http://www.ana-white.com/2013/09/plans/4x4-truss-beam-table), and we only modified it a tiny bit. We lengthened the long center beams of the base and the table top boards slightly so we could fit at least 10 people at this table. And then widened it just a hair (milling down five 2x10 boards to 2x8.5) so we had a little extra width (since we lengthened it, we didn’t want it to look narrow… I’m all for proportions). I can add our exact dimensions once I get home and have a chance to measure, if you'd like. Towards the end of construction we decided to ditch the center angled beams in the original plans, because although they look good, we preferred the simple style of the table without them.

I’m happy to share any knowledge I can on how we built this table, so please feel free to ask as many questions as you want (and I’ll update the pictures once the final coats of poly are on)! :grin:

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 562.00

Post Number:#44  Unread postby Shea » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 pm

If anyone is interested there is a little more involved table plan on the artofmanliness.com http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/10/27/make-a-dining-room-table-by-thanksgiving/ One day I will make a mortise and tenon table!

Previous