Is this rabbit safe to eat? (Strange strip of tissue inside)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidwestMatthew

Reaction score
I butchered a few rabbits this afternoon and came across something I can't recall having found in a rabbit before.

The kit was about 12 weeks old. The tissue in question was long, narrow, and thin, very soft and floppy, and very bright red and bloody. No unusual odor. It wasn't obviously attached to anything, although I suppose I might have cut it loose without noticing ahead of time.

I put it aside on a plate and it soon began exuding some kind of clear fluid as well.

I'm pasting a photo below, alongside the liver, which looks normal (and whole) to me. I also found both lungs in good shape, so anything I would have guessed this might have been has been accounted for.

Does anyone know what this is, or if the rabbit is safe to eat?

Attachments

• WeirdRabbitTissue.jpg
    WeirdRabbitTissue.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,358
I've never seen anything exactly like it, but if I'd been butchering the rabbit, I think I would have dismissed it as clotted blood. It is a very bright red, however, whereas clots tend to be darker.

Hope someone else can give you a more definite answer.

Homer":23u3jqfm said:
It's the rabbit's gallbladder. Trim it out and enjoy. If it has already leaked it's gal you might find it rather strong tasting though. :x
Umm...isn't the gallbladder the small grayish thing attached to the liver? I'm talking about that huge, bright red thing on the right side of the plate. Pretty sure that's not the gallbladder, right?

I wonder if that could be the spleen, for some reason enlarged and watery?

But I do not know if there is anything out there that would render a rabbit unedible when he looks ok otherwise.

Latest posts

Back