Register

WTH?!

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,017.00

WTH?!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Maleficent » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:49 am

Someone posts requesting help as some of their kits have been attacked by an unknown predator recently. Many post offer condolences and offering suggestions about type of predator and how to handle each possible kind based on damage seen to two dead kits and one still alive. Why would you come along and tell someone to DROWN the living kit?! Yes it may not survive but they want to give it a fighting chance! Plus drowning is a horrible way to go! How is drowning your unwanted kits any faster then a quick twist to break their necks?! Oh because you are lazy and don't want to bother with lopping their heads off you say... honest to god.. be honest with me guys. How do you feel about the suggestion to just drown kits because you could not be bothered to dispatch them any other way because other ways are to inconvenient for you? The aforementioned kit is about a week old as well.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,170.00

Re: WTH?!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:18 am

Well, I definitely would not drown a one week old kit. Probably if it was newborn I would prefer it over seeing it's head come off :oops: When we hatch chicks in the incubator somtimes they are stuck to their shells, not a good situation :x Then the quickest way for me to put that little chick out of it's suffering is to hold it under warm water until it stops kicking. I have doe it 3 times, it takes about 30 seconds. Also drowning although much harder on the kit than breaking it's neck is better than dying from cold or starvation.
Maybe the best cure for something like this is to calm down and hug a bunny?
2017-11-10 07.16.03.jpg
2017-11-10 07.16.03.jpg (332.7 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms
Raising quality purebred Americans, Beverens, Dutch, and Palominos for meat, show, and pet.
htpp://www.ozarkansasrabbits.com

United States of America

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Maleficent » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 am

I did consider those points you made with the newborns and with baby chick's barely out of the egg I can understand as well. What finally made me nope out of that thread though was when they said they purposely feed week old or older kits to their dog live as if that was the most normal thing in the world to do.

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,305.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby shazza » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:51 am

drowning is...absolutely not a nice way to die. for anyone. i'd try whacking it or lopping its head off with snips before drowning. it's messier and more 'direct', but part of raising animals for slaughter is getting over having to, y'know, kill it. in my opinion anyway.
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

United States of America

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Maleficent » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:09 am

I'm fine with the killing part, I understand having to dispatch an animal before feeding it to your pet or yourself that wasn't my issue. I just prefer it being done in a humane way that causes as little distress to an animal as possible.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,862.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Dood » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:53 am

Hell no !!!!!

Drowning is a HORRIBLE way to die and NOT considered humane for ANY species of animal

The following user would like to thank Dood for this post
Homer, Winterwolf

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 91.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby TornadoRed » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:35 am

The respect and kindness you show to animals is a direct reflection of your respect and kindness for people.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,065.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby alforddm » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:54 pm

I don't have a problem with feeding kits live to dogs...so long as they are large dogs. With a large dog, one crunch and your done. Not much different from cutting off their heads or whacking them against something hard. A small breed dog might not be able to get the job done quickly and I would have a problem with that. Drowning IMO is never acceptable.

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Male
BunnyBucks: 1,141.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby SoDak Thriver » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:58 pm

On the rare occasion that I have to cull a kit that young, I put them in a plastic grocery bag and swing the bag hard down on a work bench or concrete. It does the job fast and is mess-free. Drowning? Ugh. No way.
Homeschooling dad of 4 (aged 14, 10, 8, 3), accountant, and rabbit noob apprentice.