Broken Silvered Gold-Tipped Black Steel?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozarkansas

Reaction score
So my "Broken" Red New Zealand cross doe who actually has 2 copies of the broken gene has a litter of 7. Her previous litters were broken red and broken gold-tipped black steel. This litter is out of a purebred Champagne D'Argent buck and they are 4 weeks old. I am starting to see silvering and Gold-Tipped hairs in their black. Is it possible to have Steel and Silver genes showing on one rabbit? Also if Dood or SableSteel cab come up with the 'genetic code' for this I am interested to see it.

tumblr_inline_omrt3lGIXk1qek5y3_1280.jpg

yep :) rosette is a NZR/Champagne cross and she is a gold tip steel with silvering much like a silver fox. almost all of her kits she's produced have been silvered, though sparsely. i plan to get a champagne buck and do some silvering experiments in the future with her daughter, a lightly silvered japanese harlequin. and other things...the silver gene is very pretty so time to see what i can slap it on that will be interesting haha.

Yes they can have both. At this age the ticking on the body will mostly be due to steel

The genotype for it would be

A_ BB C_ DD Ese Enen Sisi

It might carry a from the champagne, might carry c from the NZ, (probably no dilute in that broken red line though), carries e from the NZ, and has one copy of the silvering gene (sometimes called si3 when talking about the heavier silvering like on a champagne)

Also assuming the d'argent has no brun or bleu or anything else of that like in its pedigree

Thank you SableSteel! Genotype was the word I was looking for I just couldn't think of it at the moment :oops: No the Champagne D'Argent does not have any Brun or Bleu at least not in the last 4 generations. I am seeing the gold on the ears and face. And sliver on the nose, feet, and underarms. Where it usally comes in first on my Champagnes. Also just to confirm I am pretty sure the doe does not carry dilute becase I bred her to a Blue buck and got all gold-tipped black steel babies.
Tried to get pictures, but they just look black. Maybe in a week or so.

Ozarkansas":2tah84xu said:
.... Tried to get pictures, but they just look black. Maybe in a week or so.

Give it a try in the sunshine Ozark. Sometimes the dark colors under artificial light will fool a digital camera. ;) Especially if you use a flash.

Good idea Homer. I will try some different lighting tomorrow :camera: <br /><br /> __________ Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:31 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here are some pictures. They are very active and hard to photograph :lol:
2017-11-11 13.25.48.jpg2017-11-11 13.26.22.jpg2017-11-11 13.26.56.jpg2017-11-11 13.27.25.jpg2017-11-11 13.28.00.jpg

Back