Here we go again, (hope not!)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Had my best Doe, (two legs now), give us a present Tuesday evening. Her first litter at 11 months old of 7 Light Grey Flemish Giants. As of this evening they still are not fed. They look OK but their tummies are nowhere as round as they should be. She is eating like a horse and can't get enough to drink but the kits are still in the corner of the bunny bedroom unfed. When I check them in the morning and they're still not fed and moved out where she can get to them, I'm going in. I'll make some of the formula I worked on, http://rabbittalk.com/updated-hand-feeding-formula-t27372.html, last time I hand fed and see if I can get her going. Sometimes it only takes on or two times of this to give mom an idea what she needs to do. First timers! :pullhair:

I know, pictures or it didn't happen right? Here ya go guys. :)

Attachments

• 7 babies 11-7-17-a.jpg
    7 babies 11-7-17-a.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 1,668
  • 7 babies 11-7-17.jpg
    7 babies 11-7-17.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 1,668
Homer, I sure hope when you checked them this morning you found nice round bellies on those kits! They sure do look like promising little ones.

Sometimes it takes a little extra time for the first-timer to start lactating and sometimes they have the milk but lack the instinct to feed the kits. (I know you are well aware of this, Homer, but I'm putting it in here for people new to breeding.)

Your formula proved itself before and unfed kits in your rabbitry stand a much better chance than those just about anywhere else, but I sure hope it won't be necessary. :clover: :clover: :clover:

Thanks Maggie. They all had fat little pink bellies this morning! :happy: Pink round tummies on grey bunnies is pretty funny looking. :lol: One appears to be behind all the others so we'll see how it does.

I'll take the delay in mamma feeding anytime over having to hand feed 3 times a day. ;)

Homer":cjrm0jpo said:
Thanks Maggie. They all had fat little pink bellies this morning! :happy: Pink round tummies on grey bunnies is pretty funny looking. :lol: One appears to be behind all the others so we'll see how it does.

I'll take the delay in mamma feeding anytime over having to hand feed 3 times a day. ;)

YAY! Glad they were fat and happy this morning :)

Congratulations Homer! I have never gone through the breeding process with any on the rabbits I have owned, but often considered what it would be like to breed them, thanks for sharing your experience.

PSFAngoras":c32bbbev said:
Glad she fed them for you!
You and me both PSF. I really didn't want to do it for her but you know how it is sometimes. Especially with first timers. ;)

Loopy":c32bbbev said:
Congratulations Homer! I have never gone through the breeding process with any on the rabbits I have owned, but often considered what it would be like to breed them, thanks for sharing your experience.
Nothing to it Loopy. It only takes two you know. :lol:

-- Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:52 pm --

And here's one at 4 days old. :D

4 day old kit.jpg <br /><br /> -- Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:33 am -- <br /><br /> ...another boring bunny picture for you. :lol:

11 days old here, (yesterday). 2 blacks, 4 lt. greys now. One was very small (peanut) and has gone missing.

Their eyes are starting to open now so Mom's rest is about over.

11 18 17-11 Days Old.jpg

Hard to get a decent picture when they're going off like popcorn. :x

giphy.gif

Latest posts

Back