Bone decorating

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So my first litter of meat rabbits is 3 days old now. It's a litter of 7, but about 3 are not going to the freezer. That being said I will have 4 rabbits to do my first processing with and I don't want to waist anything I don't have to. I have always loved bone art and I know some people who do too. There are plenty of posts about cleaning the bones, but what I haven't found is how to decorate them. So how do y'all decorate your bones? What supplies/tools do I need for decorating them? Also I would totally not be upset if anyone wants to put up pictures of their bone art :mrgreen:

I don't usually decorate mine, but there are lots of things you can do with them. If you have a wood burner, you can burn designs on the like wood. Just be aware the smell of burning bone can be unpleasant. Hubby forbad my daughter from doing it in the house. :lol: You can also use a dremel tool and engrave them or just plain old paint them.

BE CAREFUL!!!! Breathing bone dust can KILL YOU!!!

Not kidding, the sickest I have ever made myself was when I was carving bone and breathing the dust. OMG I thought I was going to die. :oops:

The effect of carving bone is beautiful but wear a mask or respirator, seriously.

bone dust is dangerous just like very fine sawdust, it's an irritant and there's some evidence that it could be a carcinogen. this is specifically the very very fine dust that could stay in the air for a few hours after using a modern saw. i can't find any scientific papers clearly outlining it with a quick google, but i've heard this for years so better safe than sorry :p i don't think it'd be an issue if you use a knife or chisel, but if you plan on using a dremel or a saw to cut leg bones i would wear a respirator and do it outside so you won't have dust floating around your house.

Back