Has anyone brought Newborn Kits back to life?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaggieJ":27ww04vw said:
TornadoRed, Alice will likely have more. Your smell won't bother her, but messing with her before she is done could. So be sure to check her without bothering her.

Does often don't pull fur ahead of time. These things are all instinct-driven and the urge to pull fur may happen before, during or after.
:yeahthat:

Mine ALWAYS wait until the last second to pull fur. I've only had one that didn't also wait until the day/night before to build her nest. Also as far as scent goes, I have a doe that was aggressive over just about everything and my whole existence during the pregnancy not give a crap about me touching the nest when she was cleaning and prepping her fur for pulling. She gave me 7 and takes care of them beautifully even though I look them over twice a day to for management. Otherwise so far with my other does, one even lets me "help" with the whole thing, and the others don't care about my existence as long as I'm quiet and gentle with the babies. Just so no one gets confused though my "helping" the one doe is I get to pick up a handful of hay and hand it to her to take to the nest when she is building, and she prefers me to gently stroke her back during kindling. I feel quite honered by her. She will get upset with me though if I don't help, and she doesn't care why I didn't :lol:

@MaggieJ, Alice didn't have anymore, so in my usual screw-it-up-in-reverse in manner I didn't mess it up! Thank you for sharing all your wonderful knowledge.

I checked the boxes this morning and Money Bunny has 3, Alice has 2. Everyone has nice fat little bellies.

Money had her litter in her rabbit box. The hutches I inherited were pretty open, all wire/metal cloth with nowhere to get out of the elements other than the roof and two side walls. I put in plastic kitty litter buckets and bolted them to the side wall. There is just a little lip to keep the straw in place. She had her litter in that. She built quite an elaborate fluffy nest and got everything 'just so'. She didn't seem to mind the kindle box, it was good for sleeping in and raiding for nesting material.

This morning I moved her kits out of her box and in to the kindle box. I just picked up the whole nest and moved it over. She was not pleased. She growled (?) and sort-of tried to nip at me. It was kind of funny. I then petted her the way she likes and she calmed down. I had given her some treats before the inspection and I gave her a little more while I was petting her.

After I moved away she inspected the nest, made sure everyone was still in there, and then she climbed in. I think she nursed them. It looked like it from everything i have read. She must be satisfied with the arrangement.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who responded to me. This is a really nice community.

Latest posts

Back