Colour Chances with Himi and Black Otter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Willow

Reaction score
My little Martenised Himalayan ND doe is due to have our first litter by my new buck any time now. I just went to check her and she's pulled fur and plonked herself in the nest box, so could be today. But because I'm impatient and curious about the statistics, I'll ask anyway :p

The buck is a Black Otter, out of a REW and by a Black Otter. Was told by the breeder that he 'comes from mostly tan pattern'.

The doe is out of a REW and by a Blue Otter. Don't know what's behind them though. I've bred her with a Blue Otter a few times and got mostly Himi, with one or two Blue Otters and REW. Probably not relevant though :roll:

Am I correct in saying I'll get 100% Black Otters from this breeding?

What would I get if I bred him to my other doe (Blue Silver Marten)? She's out of a Seal Marten and by a Blue Otter.

No

Because the buck (at_ B_ Cc D_ E_) has a REW parent he must carry one REW allele and when bred to your Himalayan with a REW parent, statistically 25% of the kits will be himi and 25% REW. If he carries dilute, you should get 25% blue based

Chances are your martenized himi (__ __ ch c _d __ ) is tan/otter based and the other 50% of the kits will be tan based, but if she is agouti you could get chestnuts

If both parents carry self, you should get 25% self black

Other possibilities depend on recessives

Wow, thank you @Dood!

I guess the only way to find out if she carries agouti would be if there are Chestnuts then? That would be cool- I've never had that colour before.

What would I get from breeding the same buck to my other doe?

Black otter = at_ B_ Cc D_ E_
X
Blue silver marten = at_ B_ cchd_ dd E_
=
75% to 100% tan/otter based
25% chinchilla plus 25% chin or sable or himi or REW

So you should get black otters and black silver martens plus others depending on recessives such as sable marten or himi or REW

Possibly 50% dilute/blue based if the black otter carries dilute

That's good to know, thank you :)

I'm getting a bit tired of shadeds after years of Sables etc. And I'm even more tired of Martenised Himalayans! Which is exactly what I got from Dinky this morning... two little Himi kits (one DOA). If I were to keep the remaining kit and breed it back to the sire, would I just get more Himis again? Dinky seems to throw allot of them.

Back