Register

New to rabbit talk, and hopefully to showing!

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
BunnyBucks: 30.00

New to rabbit talk, and hopefully to showing!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby allymeagan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:11 am

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a pair of new zealand whites, after having been out of rabbits for a few years. The lady I purchased them from mentioned they are in the stages of starting a registered club here, so I'm hoping to get on board with that! With that said, I would like to get some pedigreed stock so I can show them. I've always loved Harlequins, but seem to be having a hard time finding any stock lol. But that is my mission! If I'm not able to find Harlequins, I'll look into other medium sized breeds, as I would like to raise them for meat, as well as for showing. I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has other ideas!

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,170.00

Re: New to rabbit talk, and hopefully to showing!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:43 am

:welcome: to Rabbit Talk! I have been traveling for shows, but we are in the beginning of starting a club in my area too!!
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms
Raising quality purebred Americans, Beverens, Dutch, and Palominos for meat, show, and pet.
htpp://www.ozarkansasrabbits.com

BunnyBucks: 1,900.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby TeaTimeBunnies » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:12 pm

:welcomewagon: Hello!! Where are you located? A general location will do, such as a state or if you aren't in the US country. I'm sure we can help you find someone with the rabbits you are looking for. I know SarniaTricia has harlequins. Maybe she can help you? I'm sure she'll chime in at some point. Welcome again!!
I breed English spot, Mini Rex, Lop mix, Dwarf mix, And Meat mutts
https://teatimebunnies.wordpress.com/

The following user would like to thank TeaTimeBunnies for this post
allymeagan

Post Number:#4  Unread postby allymeagan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks! I'm in Thunder Bay, ON, Canada. I looked into bringing rabbits across the border and didn't seem like an issue. I have no problems with driving 10 or so hours in any direction, and my folks are in southern ON on a regular basis, so it opens up some options. We're pretty isolated here lol. I've done some fun shows at local fairs, but this will be a whole new ball game for me, I'm sure! I'm looking forward to it.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 772.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Winterwolf » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:28 pm

:hi: Welcome to RabbitTalk!

Have you tried looking on Facebook? That's a great place to find rabbits for sale. If you live in the U.S., you can probably find a local rabbit sales group for your area. And if you don't mind using transporters, I'd recommend posting a "wanted" ad in the Silver Spoon Bunny Express facebook group. I used their transporting services twice now and have no complaints about the way they do things.

You could also try going to a few rabbit shows for a chance to not only meet a few local breeders and ask any questions you might have, but it's also a great way to see firsthand what kind of stock they're raising.

Anyway, good luck on your rabbit-raising endeavor. :lilbunny: :)
Misty Creek Rabbitry
French Angora rabbits, Angora fiber, & handspun yarn
Mini Lops
Northeast Kansas, USA

https://www.facebook.com/MistyCreekRabbitry/
http://mistycreekrabbitry.weebly.com

Post Number:#6  Unread postby allymeagan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks! Like I said, we're pretty isolated. The nearest show would probably be Winnipeg, MB, and I couldn't find any registered breeders of Harlequins in the province. Minneapolis would be another option to check out, and I have sent an email off to one breeder that was listed in Minnesota. So hopefully I hear back. I expect there will be a show in the spring in one of those two places, so I may just need to plan a trip! I'd like to research what I can online first though. I'd be okay with using a transporter as well, so I'll check that facebook group out! Thanks!

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,181.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby SableSteel » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:13 pm

Welcome
Harlequins are great. One of my favorite breeds; but you get a lot of culls so you need a relatively large (or productive) herd to stay competitive. Harlequin rabbit world wide facebook page has a lot of breeders from great lakes area and canada... might want to check that out if you use facebook.
Good luck with showing. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here or ask me

Some harlequin breeders nearby
Marshfield WI http://lakolarabbitry.weebly.com/
Holcombe WI https://www.facebook.com/Starck-Rabbits ... 081739841/
Michigan (an ARBA judge who breeds harlequins) https://maddiesrabbitry.weebly.com/
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies

thesodi.com - the chicken game

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
allymeagan

Post Number:#8  Unread postby allymeagan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:03 am

Thanks! I'll follow up those links, and check out the facebook group. I appreciate it!

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,598.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:35 am

Welcome!!
Thanks for contacting me!

I know we can arrange something to get you Harlequin Rabbits!
I often transport up from shows in the US for breeders in Canada.... Rabbit people aren't quite as common in Canada.

I have 10 does bred for November births right now. (just did the math and realized, IF they all kindle, I'm going to need to build 6 new nest boxes!! :lol: Everyone here knows that if you are out of cage space or nest boxes then all your does will "take" and you will need to get creative or build more.)

Come January, I am planning on thinning the breeding stock to make room for the new Breeder (from the November births!)
As we talked about... I am sure between myself and other breeders I work with in the US I am sure we can get you started!
Kits.jpg
Kits.jpg (42.39 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

The following user would like to thank SarniaTricia for this post
allymeagan

Post Number:#10  Unread postby allymeagan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:26 am

They are so cute! Thank you so much for your help, and getting set up with some of your breeding stock would be amazing! I'm looking forward to it!

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,837.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby faiththequeen » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:22 pm

If you decide on Harlequins, SarniaTricia will find you something fabulous! She got me hooked on them and I currently have 16 babies in the nest box <3 Welcome to Rabbittalk. You'll love it here.
Faith the Queen :king: