First time cooking rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
So I finally figured out what I wanted to make with the rabbit I butchered a couple of months ago. I made rabbit stir fry. It is delicious!! However I found out I need some better knives to cut raw meat. But other than that the cooking part went well and the dogs got the left over raw meaty bones. Which they liked a a lot.

It is a bit weird eating meat you seen alive. But that not really stopping me from eating it. So here is too my first time cooking and eating rabbit. :D

It does seem a little strange at first, but it puts you in touch with where your food comes from in a way that few other things can match. It makes me feel grateful to have had that experience.

Harelady":330lrarz said:
It is a bit weird eating meat you seen alive. But that not really stopping me from eating it. So here is too my first time cooking and eating rabbit. :D

Yeah, It can be a bit odd. The first time is the most notable. It was not hard to eat fish that I knew were alive, but a warm blooded creature is on a whole other level. For one thing, it does drive home that when you eat meat you are actually eating a creature that was once alive but is no more.

You gain an understanding and appreciation what went into making your food. It is kind of odd, but I do get a feeling of pride knowing that the animal that gave it's life was well taken care of and respected all the way up to and including the end.

WELL DONE YOU!!! It's a fantastic step, and stir-fry rabbit is fab!

But, you do NOT need better knives, you need a KNIFE SHARPENER!!! Just a simple pull through one from devilmart will work fine.

I have NEVER been in anyone's kitchen, other than my own, that has properly sharp knives. :roll: And you don't just sharpen once, you usually need to do it two or three times per rabbit.

A neat tip I discovered, if you run your knife through a potato - so it has potato juice on the blade - and then use the sharpener, it gives a quicker sharp edge and works better when cutting up fatty meat. Which rabbit is not but once you start doing your own, pigs are a logical next step. :twisted:

I generally bake the saddles in the oven, wrapped in foil. Once they're done and cooled, I pull all the meat off and chop it, fast freeze it on trays, and bag. That's what I use for stirfry. I just add it to the rice or veggies just before they're done to heat the meat through. Being so low in fat, the meat will take on pretty much any flavor you cook it with.

Latest posts

Back